Home Men?s basketball team hunts Lions

Men?s basketball team hunts Lions

by admin October 20, 2009

Men?s basketball team hunts Lions

by admin October 20, 2009

The Concordia men’s basketball team won a non-conference game 55-46 against the York Lions on Friday night.
The game had a painfully slow start, and the first three minutes went by with no baskets until finally the Lions got two baskets in a row to put the score up 4-0. This early lead seemed to awaken something in the Stingers and a few minutes later, Stingers forward James Clarke tied the game after a quick turnover.
After that, besides a spine quivering alley-oop by rookie Sasha Louis, the first quarter flew by uneventfully, finishing with a measly score of 10-11 for the Lions.
Both teams put up a solid defence in the second quarter. Stingers pointguard Hamza Ruhezamihigo managed to get seven of the 11 points scored in the period, including a beautiful three-pointer right as teammate Sebastien Martin took a hard hit to the ground. Despite the hit, Martin got the other four points of the quarter – two by a powerful entry to the basket, the other after both teams called a time-out with one second left on the clock. Martin netted a basket as the buzzer sounded, tying the first half at 21-21.
The second half started well with a basket from Clarke, giving Concordia the lead.
The Stingers managed to hold on to the lead throughout the quarter, with a little help from veteran Pierre Thompson and his two three-pointers. With more strong entries to the basket, the Stingers caused York to foul and gained a couple of free throws, finishing the third quarter at 38-31.
The final quarter was highlighted by a beautiful slam-dunk by Evens Laroche and three more three-pointers by Thompson, who almost got a sixth three-pointer at the end of the game, but just missed. Louis came to the aid of his teammate, tapping the ball in the basket almost effortlessly.
The game went by with few baskets, back-and-forth leads, and a good defence from each team. However, the low score was not due to a lack of trying, many opportunities were missed and both teams seemed to have a problem getting the ball in the basket.

The Stingers head to Winnipeg for a tournament this weekend.