Home Montreal blue collars hold 4-hour strike

Montreal blue collars hold 4-hour strike

by admin October 13, 2009

by admin October 13, 2009

Hundreds of blue collar workers held a half-day strike outside city hall last Wednesday to protest slow contract negotiations. The city employees have been without a collective agreement since 2007, but Mayor Gérald Tremblay isn’t showing any signs of giving into their demands. A few hours before the protest, Tremblay told reporters the demonstration was “completely pointless.” Workers are asking for a 10 per cent salary increase over four years, and asking the city to subcontract fewer contracts to private firms. Tremblay said this would cost the city $100 million per year. Members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees also came out to support the blue collars. “We are aware of the precarious economic conditions,” said CUPE’s general vice-president Lucie Levasseur, who said that the union has succeeded in negotiating wage increases in nine other cities. “Is Montreal the only city affected by the recession?” she asked. “It is time for Mayor Tremblay to be reasonable and negotiate like everyone else.”