Home Old clothes look cool at vintage store

Old clothes look cool at vintage store

by admin October 20, 2009

Old clothes look cool at vintage store

by admin October 20, 2009

Vintage clothing doesn’t just mean an item is used or old, but that it has character and history, according to the owners of the recently opened store, Kavanagh Vintage.
Beau Kavanagh, 28 and Ryan Setton, 31 realized they had an eye for hidden treasures when touring with their band, The Broken Hearted. A passion for everything old and retro, inspired the two friends to begin picking up vintage apparel from the various towns they visited.
As their collection grew, it became apparent they had enough merchandise to open up a shop and make a business out of finding homes for these pre-loved items.
“An exciting thing about having a store like this is giving clothing a second chance,” said Setton.
By buying vintage not only are you more likely to own a one of a kind piece, but you play a part in reducing the amount of waste ending up in landfills said Setton.
Setton says most people “appreciate the authenticity of the merchandise and a lot of our customers recycle, otherwise they wouldn’t be in a used clothing store.”
Located at 5922 Sherbrooke St. West, Kavanagh Vintage sells mostly clothing, but it also carries an array of other products including vintage boots, hats, wallets, instruments, guitar amps, and antiques. Some of their merchandise dates as far back as the 1940s.
“We’re trying to make the shop look really cool, always having new merchandise, and keeping the prices really fair,” said Setton.
They’re constantly acquiring new goods from different cities and updating the store’s selection. Kavanagh and Setton make sure every product is in mint condition and cleaned before being put on display.
Fully equipped with a 1920s espresso maker, the partners hope to open up a small café in front of the store in a couple of weeks.
Their goal is to show people the potential of vintage while helping them spice up their closets.
“We make people look cool,” said Setton.