Parti Montr

The Équipe Louise O’ Sullivan Parti Montréal Ville-Marie is working hard to increase its public presence in the final weeks of the mayoral campaign.
An alleged lack of media coverage has left some members of the party feeling sour. Even though mayoral candidate Louise O’Sullivan is “absolutely qualified and a very serious candidate,” she has not been invited to various mayoral candidate debates, according to Fergus Keyes, a candidate for city councillor in the Loyola district.
“In such an important election with no real clear front runner, I think that the media has a responsibility to profile all serious candidates.”
Keyes said the party is putting its efforts into an “intensive Internet campaign,” rather than direct links to the media. The party was created in January 2006 by O’Sullivan after she spent five years working for Mayor Gérald Tremblay.
Keyes voiced his concerns with the size of the current city government. “Our party proposes to work very hard to make the city administration more effective and decrease the size.” Keyes called himself an experienced candidate who is “qualified to discuss proper governance issues.”
Keyes emphasized diversity as his party’s main strength. He explained that “Louise O’Sullivan has a variety of people running with her that are young and old, French, English and ethnic, men and women, all with their own diversified experience.”
The party’s poor showing in polls numbers aren’t a source of concern, Keyes said. “Louise O’Sullivan has a great deal more support than is apparent from the polls. Some community groups are giving us the opportunity to meet with them.”
In terms of issues of concern to students, he said a reduced bus fare for all students, regardless of age or status, is a “great idea.” Keyes, who returned to university after earning a degree from McMaster University, argued that older students “should get the same benefits as someone who is 24.”
As a final message, Keyes said the most important key to a successful campaign is to encourage the public to vote. “Democracy does indeed require participation in the process.”