Home Stingers continue strong cross-country season

Stingers continue strong cross-country season

by admin October 20, 2009

by admin October 20, 2009

The Stingers men and women’s cross country teams had a strong race at the University of New Brunswick cross-country open this past weekend. The men’s squad finished in 2nd place out of 10 teams in the 8km race, beating all the participating schools from Quebec. The women locked in at 6th place out of 10 schools in the 5km course.
Stingers power runner Stephane Colle won 3rd place in the men’s 8km race, clocking a time of 25:16. Teammate Ryan Noel-Hodge bounded to the finish line less than thirty seconds after, to place 8th with a time of 25:42. Four of the men from Concordia placed within the top 20 runners, including Simon-Malik Giroux (26:38, 17th place) and Sofiane Guend (26:56, 20th place). Rookie Ilya Kovalev placed 43rd out of 81 runners with a time of 27:57, but managed to run the distance a minute faster than he had the week before. Even head coach John Lofranco couldn’t resist the thrill and ran alongside his team, placing 40th with an impressive time of 27:47. Despite nursing injuries to some key runners, the men’s squad trampled the course and the competition, putting them in a great spot to compete for first place at Provincials.
Amélie Roy was the first Stinger of the women’s squad to cross the finish line for the 5km, recording a time of 20:01 to put her in 38th place. Teammate Emily Hargraeves wasn’t far behind, clocking in at 20:08 to put her in 41st place. The women’s team stuck together throughout most of the course, with the top five runners clocking in not more than 30 seconds apart. Rebecca Trembath and Elizabeth Mokrusa, 47th and 48th place respectively, came in just a second apart with times of 20:35 and 20:36.

The Stingers have a gruelling week of training ahead, all in preparation for Provincials which will take place in Quebec City on Oct. 31.