Home Stingers lose season opener

Stingers lose season opener

by admin October 13, 2009

The Concordia Stingers opened their season on the wrong foot this past weekend, with a 4-3 loss last Friday at the hands of the visiting Ryerson Rams.
The Stingers didn’t put their best foot forward and had to play catch up all night. The pace of the game was slow and lacked the intensity that a home-opener should.
When asked about the loss, Coach Kevin Figsby said part of the problem was that the team didn’t play a full game of hockey.
“I thought we played about 43 minutes of really solid hockey and when we were in the game plan we were having success. All of a sudden, a couple of guys started doing individual things, thinking that their individual skills will win the game and you just don’t have success.”
He also said lack of chemistry was another problem. “We had some issues tonight, we struggled in a few areas, the chemistry wasn’t what it should be right now.”
“But we’re without a few key players. We have some injuries right now that have devastated our [defensive] core.”
Stingers goalie Brock McGillis was between the pipes that night. It was his first game since being out last season with a knee injury. Although it wasn’t the result he wanted, McGillis said he was happy to be back.
“It was nice to get back in there and playing. But the outcome wasn’t what I was hoping for.”
Getting comfortable again in the net is an area that McGillis said he still needs to work on.
“I think for me personally it’s just a matter of finding my groove again and keep working to find my game,” he said.
McGillis’ brother Cory tied the game in the third and finished the night with two goals. He had a solid offensive first game coming off of a strong season where he tallied 11 goals in 10 games. He had the opportunity to go pro but decided not to after consulting with some NHL teams.
“They just said it’s better being a big fish in a small pond than playing pro and being a regular fish. You get noticed more [at Concordia].”
When asked about his performance that night, Cory said he was pleased with his production, but disappointed with the final score.
“I am happy I scored two goals but it just wasn’t enough tonight…Some costly penalties and defensive lapses killed us,” he said.