Zombies pay tribute to Michael Jackson

It was like a scene out of slasher film. About 115 people with pale, decaying skin robed in bloody clothes gathered in the Old Port one week before Halloween. After the sun went down, the familiar sounds of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” began, prompting the zombies to start dancing. These frightening looking Montrealers were taking part in Thrill the World, an annual event in which people all around the world dance to the Jackson classic at the same time.
This year, 300 cities took part in the event which also served as a memorial to the performer who passed away this summer, said Conrad Kipczak, who registered the Montreal participants.
Kayla Tan organized this year’s Montreal event, and said it was a good kick-start to Halloween. “There’s no Halloween without “Thriller,'” she said.
Dancers arrived in the Old Port as early at 4 p.m. to learn and practice the choreography.
Organizers had a goal this year to break the Guinness World Record for the biggest worldwide synchronized dance, said promoter Gregory Wilson.
“It’s going to be sick seeing everyone doing the same dance, dressed up as zombies,” Wilson said.
Montreal’s Thrill the World attracted some people all the way from New Brunswick. Ashley Watson and Laura Grant bused in from the eastern province. And they came prepared, wearing authentic Jackson outfits. “We watched the MJ Thriller video non-stop for the past month,” said Grant. Her friend said she was excited to experience something different. “There is nothing like this where we come from,” said Watson.
For those who didn’t take part in the event for fear of messing up the dance, Jackson fan Ross Koopmons said the dance looks more complicated than it actually is. “Anyone can learn this dance,” he said.