Stingers best Gee-Gees

A solid 18-0 victory against the Ottawa Gee-Gees rounded out a perfect week for the Concordia women’s rugby team.
Coupled with their Kelly-Anne Drummond Cup victory, the win against the Gee-Gees solidifies the Stingers’ second place status.
Concordia played a textbook game, all aspects of their play was to the letter and executed well. Scrum-half Robin Hunter ensured that the ball was distributed evenly between the forwards and backs as both units picked up significant yardage. Adara Borys and Sarah Nesbitt dominated the mauls early, giving Concordia extra yards and time for the backs to set up their plays.
It wasn’t long before Concordia was on the board. A penalty kick from 20 yards out by Jackie Tittley pulled the Stingers ahead by three.
Last week’s Stinger athlete of the week Hughanna Gaw shone in the first half. Gaw single-handedly stole three Gee-Gee lineouts without being sent up as a jumper.
The Stingers did have difficulty with discipline in the match. A total of twenty penalties were committed by Concordia, with 13 in the second half alone. Gaw chalked up the number of penalties to over-thinking the simple things. “We were moving too fast but thinking too slow,” she said.
Vanessa Grillo scored early in the second half as a result of a Concordia ruck on the five-yard line. Tittley put the ball through the uprights to increase the lead to 8-0.
Two minutes later Tittley would score again with a penalty kick from 42 yards out.
Mistakes and sloppiness came into play, and it seemed the Stingers were trying too hard. Numerous dropped balls and failed kick returns resulted in increased pressure by Ottawa. The referee was kept busy penalizing the Stingers and the frustration began to show.
“We really need to work on coming back to calm cool collected when things don’t go our way,” said Grillo.
Ottawa was poised to score but Tittley managed to grab the ball and run 50 yards to relieve the pressure.
The forwards carried the ball upfield into Gee-Gee territory. Gaw scored on a blindside eight-man pick up and Tittley added the kick to make it 18-0.
The Stingers are currently tied for second place in the league with McGill. They will play the decisive tie-breaking match on Thursday night at MacDonald Campus at 8 PM.