The cheddar cheese worshippers’ temple

If I was held up at gunpoint and asked to name my top three favourite foods they would be: cheddar cheese, eggs and potatoes.
My love affair with cheddar began when I was in elementary school and my mom would make me a cheese sandwich everyday when I got home. It sounds a little strange at first, but it consisted of toasted bread, mayonnaise and grated cheddar cheese. It was perfection.

Given my cheddar obsession, it’s no surprise the instant I heard about a specialty grocery store that had just opened on Van Horne Ave. called La Maison Du Cheddar, I was there faster than you could say clogged arteries. The woman at the counter probably had no idea what hit her, because the second I walked in, I started berating the poor gal with question upon question about cheddar.

She quieted me down with a homemade grilled cheese sandwich made with strong aged cheddar (the stronger the better if you ask me) apple slices and a side of pickles. I was in heaven. La Maison Du Cheddar is also becoming known for their freshly prepared cheese curds made with cheddar from Fromagerie St-Guillaume, situated right near Drummondville, Quebec. Served in a paper cone, or in a box for those with no self control, the ones available when I visited were flavoured with basil pesto and sun-dried tomato. After lunch, I had the challenge of deciding which type of cheddar to take home with me. Luckily, I was able to sample many kinds, most of which were local. In the end I settled for a four-year-old St-Guillaume cheddar. Next time, I’m picking up their ready-made mac’n’cheese.

La Maison Du Cheddar is located at 1311 Van Horne Ave.