Home Too many parties cause cancellation

Too many parties cause cancellation

by admin November 3, 2009

Too many parties cause cancellation

by admin November 3, 2009

If there was a soul on campus excited to see Loyola’s Hive turned into a haunted house last Friday, they would have been sorely disappointed. At the most recent Council meeting, Concordia Student Union executives said they hired a hypnotist and a magician for the event.
But with little advertising and low expected turnout, the CSU cancelled the event, opting instead to combine its efforts with the party being thrown by the Arts and Science Federation of Associations in conjunction with the Concordia International Students Association and the Concordia Chinese Students Association at 1234, a downtown club.
CSU president Amine Dabchy said the decision was made so students could focus their energies on one, single party.
“The more parties there are, the more likely they will be unsuccessful because the students would be spread out,” he said.
ASFA’s VP socail, Amir Sheth said cancelling the haunted house was probably for the best. “I don’t think anyone would have shown up,” he said.
The haunted house was intended to be pre-party for the rest of the night.
Dabchy said the hired talent for the night will be used for a future, as-of-yet unplanned event. He didn’t mention any costs associated with the postponement.
Aleksandra Bjelika, who lives in a Loyola residence, said she never heard about the haunted house event. She said she was already planning to attend the ASFA party.
Over 800 tickets were sold for ASFA’s event.
The CSU said it is focusing on organizing monthly events at Loyola in hopes of getting students to the west-end campus.