Home Harassment policy abused

Harassment policy abused

by admin December 1, 2009

Harassment policy abused

by admin December 1, 2009

Delegates from the Concordia Student Union and the Concordia Graduate Students’ Association allege they were targeted by unjustified harassment complaints at the Canadian Federation of Students annual general meeting last week.
Members of those contingents as well as several delegates from the McGill Post Graduate Students’ Society described the harassment complaint process as “Orwellian.” Harassment officers present at the AGM acted on complaints from delegates who felt “uncomfortable.” Complaints were followed through regardless of whether comments and actions in question were truthful or protected by the Canadian and Quebec Charters of Rights and Freedoms.

Delegates from the three unions said they felt they were targeted because each had proposed a series of reforms to the CFS, almost all of which were sources of contention between the groups.
During a committee meeting, CSU president Amine Dabchy said some of the motions being presented at the AGM would result in a situation like the dictatorships ruling in Africa. Another delegate present at the meeting took offence to the comment and lodged a complaint with the harassment officer who paid a visit to Dabchy,in his room later that evening. Dabchy is originally from Morocco, which is governed by an absolute monarchy.