Home Head coach at Concordia named to Team Canada

Head coach at Concordia named to Team Canada

by admin January 19, 2010

The head coach of Concordia’s men’s hockey team has been named to the Team Canada coaching staff for the 2011 Winter Universiade in Erzurum, Turkey.
Kevin Figsby was named an assistant coach in the international, multi-sport event organized by the International University Sports Organization (FISU).
Varsity athletes from across the globe compete for their country in the Universiade Games, which can be likened to a university-only version of the Olympics.

“It’s an honour anytime you’re asked to coach for Canada and wear your country’s flag,” Figsby said. It is the second time he is nominated to the coaching staff for the event. His first run was in 2005 in Innsbruck, Austria, where Canada placed fifth.
“It’s some of the best hockey I’ve ever seen or coached,” Figsby said. “Being up against such great teams is a fun challenge.”
Even though Figsby has the highest coaching certification from the Canadian Hockey Association &- a Level 4, which fewer than 30 Canadian coaches have &- he stresses that opportunities like this are not only a great experience, but a learning block as well.
“You see what other countries are doing, and you learn what some of the best teams in those countries are doing. It’s a way to better myself as a coach, and it’s a great learning experience.”