Letters to the Editor

re: “Ignatieff tries to reconnect with younger Canadians,” Jan. 19

It was interesting to listen to Michel Ignatieff and when he said he lamented the apathy of Canadians in regards to voting he should realize his own party has contributed to that fact. Whether you love, hate or are indifferent to Stephen Harper, he was legitimately elected by members of his Conservative party, one member one vote. Ignatieff, in the greatest mistake in the Liberal Party of Canada’s history brought him after 30 years outside of Canada and then instead of having an election appointed him leader on the basis of a few elites in the upper echelons of his party. Ignatieff also favoured Canada’s entry into the Iraq War which contrasted with the most popular decision of the three-time elected Prime Minister of their own party Jean Chretien. This has lead to speculation that the Bush administration put pressure on the Liberal Party to get him to be not just a candidate for Parliament but the leader of the party.

David Rovins

Independent Student

David Rovins

Independent Student

re: “Palestinians remember Gaza victims,” Jan. 5

What do 50 Palestinian protesters have to do with Concordia? Furthermore, how is this a front page lead story for a student newspaper? Concordia’s reputation around Montreal is already so low because of how the Israeli-Arab conflict has played out at our school.
On top of all of this, how do you allow a rhetorical quote like “they used my uncle as a human shield to enter houses” into the article. This comes off as hateful and one-sided. Can you prove this?
What about the plight of Israelis who are trying to live in a democratic society like ours in Canada, who are under constant attack?
Where’s your paper’s condemnation of the Iranian government that is killing its own people in the streets, or the government in Jordan that slaughtered tens of thousands of Palestinians during decades past?
Why don’t you ask the question of where the other Arab states are at in providing aid to the Palestinians? It’s nice that they just opened the tallest building in the world in Dubai but it’s slightly less nice that people across the Arab world are starving for food and water as well as schooling and health care.
Why don’t you stick to what you do best and report on university issues and leave these issues to the pros. We are all sick of hearing about the conflict in the Middle East at Concordia.

Daniel Lieblien

re: “Students fund empty library,” Jan. 12

Dear editor in chief,

I, alongside the whole CSU executive, am open to suggestions, criticism and feedback since we believe it is the only way to remain transparent, accountable and effective to Concordia students.
However, when deemed necessary, we also have to hold to account matters that affect us unfairly. The article entitled: “Students fund empty library” is nowhere close to being a journalistic piece. It is poorly investigative in nature, unprofessionally written, and it seeks to undermine the Union on illegitimate grounds. I would also like to point out that no CSU personnel were interviewed on the matter. (Editors note: Repeated calls to Amine Dabchy for comment on this story were not returned.)
We supported the project along with the library last semester and let the students choose. We believe, quite fairly, that this project will thrive over the course of its 10-year term, continually offering students an accessible 24-hour open space, more textbooks, course packs, laptops, security, and internet access. We here at the CSU also believe this project will serve as “a beacon in Canada on how to treat students,” as Mr. Beasley was quoted in the article.
The price tag attached to these services, that were enacted at the beginning of this term, are reasonable. However, there is no price that can be put on progression, achievement, availability and accessibility on both students and our university’s account.
It is only logical that the first days of the library will have its floors nearly deserted since not much school work is allocated to students yet. Also, the CSU started advertising for it while the Concordian was publishing the article.
Having a library open around the clock will help students in need of the space and Internet service while accommodating their schedule.
With regards to attracting certain undesired demographics on the premises, security will progressively tighten up, without profiling students. By showing a valid Concordia ID, any student may benefit of the services.
On this note, we invite you to visit our 24-hour open library once again,

Amine Dabchy
CSU President

re: Extending a helping hand in Haiti

Fellow Students,
Since last week, we have all heard about and seen the ongoing devastation in Haiti. Thousands of lives have been lost, and that number continues to climb. Many of us may have friends and know fellow students that are effected one way or another, either personally or through family ties.
The CSU is reaching out to Concordia’s 30,000 students to help support and save lives in Haiti. Last week, we started a donation drive for non-perishable food, summer clothing and money to send down to Haiti. Please help by dropping your donations anywhere in the bins scattered around campus; money donations should be sent to the CSU receptionists on both campuses (downtown: Hall, room 711 and Loyola: SC building).
Rest assured that 100 per cent of all donations will reach Haiti.
We are working with all groups on campus to coordinate our efforts, please do your part by donating to this noble cause!
Thank you.

Your CSU Executives

re: Prorogation: it’s not so bad and Proroguing parliament derails democracy (Jan. 5, 2010)

The editorial and the article on prorogation were both informative and well written. One factor that should be commented upon is that the Governor General should have denied Stephen Harper’s request and unfortunately the Liberals and the NDP have such self-induced weakness they did not think of or would not dare demand of the Governor General that she stand up as a representative of the people in her capacity as a representative of the sovereign. It is a important constitutional point that our constitutional monarchy provides the best check and balance system over the abuse of power yet devised by humanity. It takes courageous and ethical leadership to utilize it. Unfortunately we live in a time of politics as power and privilege without any integrity for the good of the nation.

David S. Rovins
Independent Student