Home Stingers fall to Ravens in shootout

Stingers fall to Ravens in shootout

by admin January 19, 2010

The Stingers dropped another shootout match last Sunday, but kept their playoff hopes alive in a 2-1 loss to the Carleton Ravens.
The game was scoreless until roughly five minutes into the second period, when Charles-Antoine Messier put Concordia on top 1-0. But the lead was short lived. Less than four minutes later, Ravens centre Brandon MacLean netted the equalizer.
In the third, the teams were still tied at one apiece. With 4:11 left in regulation, right winger Peter-James Corsi got a chance to put Concordia ahead when Carleton goalie Ryan Dube bobbled his shot. But the period stayed scoreless, sending the game into overtime. Still, neither team would get the game winner, leading to a shootout.
Both goalies blanked the first shooters of each team; then MacLean put Carleton ahead after fooling goalie Maxime Joyal. Centre George Lovatsis would respond for Concordia, but the Ravens immediately countered as Joey Manley’s shot found its way through Joyal’s legs.

Messier was the third shooter for the Stingers, and had to score to force another round. His attempt to fake Dube out was unsuccessful, and Carleton took the game.
“That wasn’t my best move,” Messier said of his shot, “I was a bit nervous I think.”
Despite the loss, Messier said the Stingers played well. “We played a really good game. Right now we’re fighting for a place in the playoffs so that’s why we’re playing that good, we’re really intense.”
Even though they didn’t get the win, Coach Figsby said he was pleased with the team’s effort and the fact they got points out of their last two games. “We picked up two big valuable points this weekend. We’re now one point out of a playoff berth with games in hand.”

The Stingers need to keep improving on their strengths and their weaknesses if they hope to improve their record, Coach Figsby said. “I think we have to play smart, defensive hockey the way we did tonight. And we have to create more offence,” he said. “We have guys trying to make unselfish plays by passing the puck, but we need some of them to get more selfish and take a shot.”
The Stingers are back at home this Friday for a 7:30 p.m. match-up against the Ottawa Gee-Gees.

52 penalty minutes earned by veteran defenseman Jesse Goodsell this season

11 goals scored by Stingers captain Marc-André Element

24 faceoffs won by Brad Gager in game against Ravens