Concordia goes veggie-friendly

One-third of all food served at most CSU events will now have to be vegetarian. CSU council passed an “ethical dietary choice policy” on Wednesday, which also states that at least one food choice at on-campus events they sponsor will have to be vegan. The policy will not affect the food served at either of the cafeterias run by Chartwell’s, or the food served at Reggie’s pub.
“I think it will set a great precedent,” said Prince Ralph Osei, VP Loyola at the meeting. “Everyone can eat vegetarian.”

Lucas Solowey, the councillor who drafted the motion, said the aim wasto make more students feel welcome at events. “I’ve wanted to pass something like that for a while. I’ve been a vegan for a few years, and I’ve had to go hungry before at some events, and it’s not a fun experience. This way, vegans, vegetarians, Hindus, people who eat halal or kosher, they’ll all know there’s something for them and feel more welcome,” he said in an interview.
Originally the policy had called for half of all food at CSU events to be vegetarian, with half of that amount being vegan, but after some councillors expressed concern that it might be too difficult, it was weakened to its current form. “I was disappointed about that,” said Solowey, “but I understand. But I think there’s potential for this to be strengthened in the future, especially as students begin demanding more vegan choices, and food choices that better confront the problem of global warming.” The policy was partly designed to address the problem of global warming, to which the breeding of farm animals is a major contributor.