Live ?talkumentary? will focus on citizenship

On February 15, interns from the Flyt Foundation will be filming a live “talkumentary” featuring special guest, Justin Trudeau and a comedic performance by Montreal improv group, Dance Animal.
The foundation’s goal is to help young adults develop strong leadership skills by using media, specifically video, to create documentaries that highlight important issues affecting our society.
“Flyt seeks to empower young adults to learn about media production in order to help them become more active citizens who can effectively promote responses to the pressing social and/or environmental challenges of our day,” said Mike Savatovsky, founder and president of the nonprofit foundation.

Entitled The Fix, the “talkumentary” will consist of a mixture of live and filmed segments. The show will be filmed in front of a live audience at the eXcentris theatre. Head intern and the Concordian contributor, Aalia Adam, worked closely with Savatovsky developing The Fix, a program she describes as a cross between a talk show and a documentary. Adams will be hosting the pilot episode called Fixing Citizenship, which plans to tackle issues such as volunteerism, social commentary and expression. The journalism student says she’s been interested in documentaries since making one in high school. That, mixed with her desire to be the next Oprah Winfrey and a recommendation from a friend, led her to apply for an internship at Flyt.

In terms of getting Trudeau to appear in the pilot, Adam says it wasn’t easy to get a hold of the famous politician. Not only did she continuously email Trudeau’s public relations staff, but she even resorted to relentlessly sending him Facebook and Twitter messages. All her persistence paid off when she secured not not only an interview, but had the opportunity to spend a day with Trudeau and to conduct a follow-up, live in-studio interview.
The pilot episode is the first of many more that Flyt hopes to make on subjects such as the environment, government and politics. The show will be available for viewing on Flyt’s website, as well as on YouTube.

The live taping takes place on Feb. 15 at 7:30 p.m at the eXcentris Theatre located at 3536 Blvd. Saint-Laurent.Tickets are free but must be reserved by emailing: [email protected]