Home Poetic sex performed on stage

Poetic sex performed on stage

by admin February 9, 2010

Kym Dominique Ferguson is bringing poetry to a whole new level of eroticism, with a show opening this Valentine’s Day.
Created by Ferguson, a former Concordia Caribbean Student Union president, The Art of Performing Aural Sex plunges into the delicate world of love, sexuality and vulnerability through poetry. “This performance is all about the good, the bad and the ugly of relationships, love and sex,” said Ferguson. Immersed in reading and writing poetry most of his life, Ferguson studied theatre for three years in Jamaica and performed poetry readings across North America. Before graduating in 2007, Ferguson wanted to create a show that would “shock and arouse” people. “At the time, I was talking to my mentor, a poet from Toronto named Dwayne Morgan. Dwayne began to recite to me the first line of a new poem he wrote called “I love to perform Aural Sex.’ That’s when I figured out my show would be called The Art of Performing Aural Sex,” said Ferguson.
Royal Victoria Hospital employee and mother of two, Natasha “Tashe” Clery will also be performing in the show “This event is really exciting for me, [it] gives me a chance to explore sexuality,” said Clery who said the audience will thrive off the show’s energy. “Sexuality is many things, but when it’s spiritual and genuinely expressed it becomes beauty.”

Clery, who is in the process of publishing a novel, feels that this event would be a good place for people to delve deeper into understanding their sexuality. According to Clery, the audience “will be leaving with a multi-flavoured variety of sexuality for Valentine’s Day.”
Moe Clark, a Metis writer from Calgary, is taking the Aural Sex show a step further by bringing out her eroticism with a little help from a device called a looping pedal. The device records her voice and repeats her words, creating layers of vocals on top of each other. “I believe the sounds and phonetics that make up language is very sensual. I want to experiment with language and it’s connection to eroticism, by making a multilayer track of orgasmic moans during my performance,” explained Clark.

But behind all the orgasms and sexual innuendo of the show, Ferguson has been going through straining emotional situations which nearly led to canceling the show. “Before the New Year came around, I was moved into a new apartment and was robbed several days later,” he said. “What really broke me down was when I lost my cousin in Haiti’s earthquake.” Due to family conflicts, Ferguson had not seen his cousin in ten years. “The last time I saw him was at my grandfather’s funeral. I feel so guilty for not contacting him,” he said. On the verge of stopping production, Ferguson decided that as a poet, it was his duty to put on this performance and to express his feelings to his audience through words. “The world is surrounded by death and negativity, but I want to focus on love. People are scared to say I love you and discuss their emotions,” he said.
Clark said people should come to the show with an open mind and heart and be prepared to explore a side of themselves that isn’t usually explored in public.
“I hope we can all lay out our sexuality on the lines,” he said, “because I will be laying out all of myself to the audience.”

The Art of Performing Aural Sex plays at Petit Campus on Feb. 14 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door.