Home Affordable beer makes students flock, drink and get wasted

Affordable beer makes students flock, drink and get wasted

by admin March 16, 2010

by admin March 16, 2010

Campus bars are often thought of as acceptable places to let loose and get plastered. And it is just so easy and simple to get drunk with the cheap prices at Concordia’s Reggie’s, especially on the infamous Thirsty Thursdays. Though low cost is great for students, is getting really drunk just because it’s cheap really a good idea?
Campus bars can be a convenient place to release stress after a long day of school work in a safe, student-filled environment. They’re also a great place to get to know fellow students who you wouldn’t otherwise meet because they are in a different program and spend their days in a different building than you. All around just a wonderful, life-enriching experience.

It is guaranteed that sometime after 10 p.m. every Thursday during the semester, the lineup to get into Reggie’s starts growing. Although the bar smells and the bathrooms become a wasteland by midnight, all kinds of young students fill up the bar marked with a sly devil logo. The promise of ridiculously affordable beer and the sweatiest dancefloor in town sometimes makes the line-up go out the door.
It’s definitely a popular scene; but how come? Well montreal-clubs.com explains, “all you have to know is that the beer is cheap and that the girls (or guys) are drunk.” The situation seems to be a dangerous mix because cheap booze – and lots of it – can lead to over-drinking, and your lips might get chapped from making out too much. And people, you are over-drinking even if you manage to stumble down the street to Moe’s and wolf down a poutine only to barf it up a couple minutes later.
According to learn-about-alcoholism.com, the early stages of the disease begin when “an individual starts relying on alcohol to enhance their mood and escape from their problems.” So if you were already in a great mood before going to the bar you’re in the clear. But if you’re going to Reggie’s to avoid depression, don’t.

Another not so great side-effect of cheap drinks on campus, especially on a weekday, means students end up hungover. The Ontario-based Alcohol Policy Network says Canadian students reported regretting their actions, forgetting stuff, and missing class the day after a night of drinking. Take this information and factor in the fact that Reggie’s is connected to school and has amazing prices. Then think about the mental state of your Friday morning classmates. And they are the ones who showed up! The APN also links drinking with poor grades and unplanned sexual relations. Awesome. Let’s go to the nearest depanneur right now.
So maybe getting slammed has its down side. But students still deserve a break from writing paper after paper and spending endless hours on their laptops watching and listening to illegally downloaded media. Even if they don’t deserve it, most are taking one anyway. It is at least better for the debauchery to be happening on campus, between peers, than in a dirty club downtown. And the affordability means students aren’t breaking budget to party. But nobody will remember your name, because they are too drunk.