Home CSU election kicks off with flying colours

CSU election kicks off with flying colours

by admin March 9, 2010

by admin March 9, 2010

It was a David and Goliath affair at the Concordia Student Union’s annual “Poster Night,” the official opening of the CSU elections, as a brand new team fought for space against a slate with a few familiar faces.
The Fusion team, led by presidential candidate and current VP services and Loyola, Prince Ralph Osei, came out in droves. Their members’ faces were covered in face paint, their heads with wigs and one was even sporting a SWAT vest all in the slate’s chosen colour, purple. The group of about 30 Fusion candidates and supporters, which included current CSU president Amine Dabchy, came out stronger than the new faces of this year’s election, Community.

The new team, led by current VP finance for the Philosophy Students Association Mike Xenakis, was accompanied by seven or eight delegates. Despite their bright orange armbands, they were swallowed by the flood of purple.
This reality suited the Community slate just fine. As one candidate for councillor put it, “We decided explicitly not to have this tribal mentality. We’re not bombarding people, we’re not harassing people, we’re appealing to their sense of mind.”
Fusion’s crowd of rowdy students clearly took a different stance, as did their presidential candidate Osei. “It’s an exciting exercise, it’s good for the democracy of the institution, and it’s nice to have competitors in the game.”

The mood was excited and tense as slate members and organizations lobbying for referendum causes stuffed their shirts with posters and lined up behind red security ropes that blocked the escalators on the first floor Hall building.
Cheering and chants of “Fusion” drowned out a sole community member yelling “confusion” in their midst.
At the stroke of midnight the ropes were dropped and the flood of slate members vying for poster space stampeded toward the upper floors. Strategies like reserving poster space with white paper and the Fusion team taping their posters together ahead of time to create a wall, demonstrated how seriously the event was being taken for those involved. The superior manpower showed its value as purple posters filled the majority of poster boards. Not to the deterrence of Community members though, as VP social candidate Moody Jones for Community said, “everyone loves an underdog!”
CSU elections will take place March 23, 24 and 25.

Community &- Orange
Mike Xenakis &- CSU President
Andrea Kessler &- VP External
Moody Jones &- VP Social
Tala Audi &- VP Finance
Peter Bishop &- VP Sustainability and Loyola

Fusion &- Purple
Prince Ralph Osei &- CSU president
Hassan Abdullahi &- VP loyola and advocacy
Nikki Tsoflikis &- VP finance
Ramy Khoriaty &- VP clubs and outreach
Andres Lopez &- VP student life
Morgan Pudwell &- VP sustainability and promotions
Adrien Severyns &- VP external and projects
Heather Lucas 8212; VP services