Home Classroom Etiquette 101

Classroom Etiquette 101

by admin March 30, 2010

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. (CUP) &- It’s the last five minutes of class, possibly the most important part, and the professor is just beginning to make an important announcement about an upcoming exam. Suddenly their voice is overshadowed by a cacophony of zippers and the flutter of rustling papers.
The early exit and similar discourtesies happen daily and they are the best examples of the terrible classroom etiquette displayed by a certain contingent of students in each class.
To those who insist on being so disruptive: Everyone else in the classroom has somewhere to be too, but you don’t see us jumping up five minutes before class concludes and kicking up a huge ruckus. This commotion makes it hard enough for the rest of us to hear what’s being said, let alone the poor professor who has to stand at the front of the room and attempt to speak over the white noise.

This issue is just one of many which are viewed as rude and ignorant by a majority of the student population. I’ve been in classrooms where students are actually rude enough to whip out their cell phones and start snapping away, taking pictures of the notes being displayed at the front of the room.
The time I witnessed this 8212; twice in one class, no less 8212; the professor was very quick to put a stop to it. The thing is though, it happened twice in one class. What a complete lack of respect for the professor and other students, who have their classes interrupted while the offending pupil gets a lesson in manners.
Along with the “I have more important things to do than sit here” cretins, there are those who ask far too many questions. Actually, they ask one question, over and over again. This one question is sneakily rephrased several times, and answered the same way each time it is asked.
It’s more than a little annoying listening to someone make attempt after attempt to wheedle the answer they want to hear out of the professor. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t ask questions, but think about how long the class is.

It’s not just the students who can be completely out of touch with respect and courtesy either. Professors can be just as bad sometimes. I’ve had classes where the professor encouraged the students to voice their opinions, but the second someone ventured to do this they were shot down instantaneously.
The way I see it, we all pay for the classes we attend. Why can’t we actually come to class willing to be respectful of everyone else who has put their hard-earned dollars toward the 50 minutes a day in which we take instruction from someone who presumably knows what they’re doing?
Let’s face it 8212; we’re all adults, most of us preparing for our future careers. Maybe we should make the effort to be a bit more considerate of those around us. How about starting with waiting until class is over before getting ready to leave?