Films on human rights

he fifth annual Montreal Human Rights Film Festival continues this week with films highlighting the unjust suffering and human cruelty occurring worldwide. The fest marks the North American premieres of many films, including Women in Shroud (March 17, 7 p.m. at Cinema du Parc) about Iranian women accused of adultery, often falsely and without evidence, who are sentenced to death. The festival is strong on message and delivers a wide variety of films. Some films are made by Montrealers, like Wendy Champagne’s BAS! Au-delà du Red Light, about 13 young girls struggling to confront their inner demons after being rescued from Mumbai brothels (March 16, 5 p.m. at Cinema ONF). President Alix Laurent said on the festival’s website that the screenings are “a tribute to all those who dare to criticize, through their art, all kinds of intolerance and atrocities committed throughout the world.” Some of the filmmakers will be present at the film screenings. The festival continues until March 21; for more information, visit ffdpm.com.