Home ?Homeless? students raise $30,000 for Dans La Rue

?Homeless? students raise $30,000 for Dans La Rue

by admin March 23, 2010

by admin March 23, 2010

Concordia’s Five Days for the Homeless campaign raised around $30,000 for the Montreal homeless charity Dans La Rue.
Five students slept outside for five nights, from March 14 to 19, for the annual event.
Unlike last year’s campaign, during which the weather dropped to bitterly cold temperatures, students this year enjoyed unseasonably warm and pleasant weather.
“The weather was much better this year, though we didn’t get as much pity money,” said Josh Redler, who helped organize the event. “There’s been a lot of pedestrians this year. And this year we had [Federal Member of Parliament] Justin Trudeau and [radio host] Aaron Rand come out and sleep with us, so that was a big help.”
Another Montreal campaign run by HEC Montreal, also a business school in the city, raised $8,400.
The height of involvement at Concordia came March 17, when 28 people slept outdoors, raising $3,600 in one day, representing a record for the school’s campaign. Still, the week wasn’t exactly easy. By the final day, fundraisers were mostly hoarse and tired-looking with bloodshot eyes.

Redler said he’d slept about 12 hours all week. And the experience of being homeless, even for five days, was trying. “Even though we’re students, there’s still people who ignore us, who pretend we don’t exist. I can’t imagine going every day like that,” said Redler.
Despite the hardships, the participants said it was a powerful experience.
“I love what I’m doing here. I love using my voice to raise money for charity,” said Tim Knight, in his second year of the campaign. Despite falling slightly short of their $35,000 goal, he said he wasn’t disappointed.
“How can you not say that $30,000 dollars is a success? I think we’ve done top notch.”