More Montreal Fashion Week: front row at the Katrin Leblond show

The theme at Katrin Leblond’s fall/winter 2010 show on Wednesday evening can be summed up in one word: whimsical. Two of the most notable looks from the show included a turquoise one-shouldered Grecian mini-dress and a magnificent purple gown with layers of red, purple and fuchsia crinolines peeking from the trumpet bottom. Nearly all of the charming outfits featured red, pink or purple accents.

The show began with a bang, as hands from backstage held purses and streamers and the first model to take on the catwalk chose her accessory from the floating “rack.” Leblond can be considered somewhat revolutionary: she demanded that all her models be a size six or eight &- a feat that’s nearly impossible for most modelling agencies. One model in particular caused quite the stir &- when she reached the end of the runway, she posed, then bent over backwards and segued into various contortionist poses.
The applause escalated when a model over 60 took to the catwalk twice throughout the show. She was the cutest sexagenarian, with long grey hair reaching down to the middle of her back and dressed in a white fairy-like dress complete with a crinoline and wand.
Never ceasing to please, the lights flickered and two shirtless men entered with a model wearing a black and red costume hoisted on their shoulders. Performing acrobatic acts, her entrance drew as many gasps as the contortionist. Her outfit was from Leblond’s costume line, called the Magician’s Assistant.