Back to school problem solving

Welcome to Concordia! For any situation you might find yourself in over the school year, we’ve compiled a list to help you out on your first year (or third… or sixth…) at this fine academic institution. Read on through our Orientation Insert to get the low-down on Montreal music, tunes, beer, and bars.

FUN

… you have no friends.

Find some like-minded people by joining one of the 70 religious, ethnic, political and hobby-oriented clubs at Concordia. Spot them tabling on the Hall mezz, or online at www.csu.qc.ca. Or, be on the lookout for your department’s student association; they can usually be counted on to plan free wine and cheeses where you can meet fellow students.

… you are on a spur-of-the-moment first date.

Sneak up to the greenhouse on the roof of the Hall building by taking the elevator to the 11th floor. Make a left, then a right, then a left and take the stairs up to the 12th floor. It’s surprisingly peaceful up there.

… you need to get out of Montreal.

Consider an international exchange at the Concordia International office. www.international.concordia.ca, ext. 4986, 2080 MacKay. For a short getaway in February, try the Alternative Spring Break ([email protected]) or the CSU’s annual NYC trip.

… you are drunk.

Drink lots of water, take an Advil and have a friend hail you a cab. And possibly come to make sure you get home safe. No driving, biking, texting, emailing or making out with friends while under the influence.

… you want to lend a hand.

New ConU initiative the LIVE Centre has a “Volunteer Opportunities of the Week” posting at www.volunteer.concordia.ca. And check out the Leadership and Volunteer Fair on Oct. 7 in the Library building atrium.

SCHOOL

… you need to pull an all-nighter.

We’re all paying now to keep the downtown library open 24/7, might as well use it! Bring water and a pillow for impromptu naps.

… your computer is broken.

The computer store hawks everything from laptops to USB keys downtown on the Hall mezz floor and at Loyola in the CJ bookstore.

… you need a wireless connection.

You can get hooked up by configuring your laptop or device at www.helpline.concordia.ca/network/wireless on another network or by selecting the “ConcordiaWirelessInfo” SSID from the list of available networks and following the instructions that appear when you open a browser window. You’ll need to save your MyConcordia portal ID and password to stay logged in. Head to the IITS help desk on the ninth floor of the Hall building if you have questions. A note for returning Concordia students with Windows: because Concordia wireless connection no longer requires the SecureW2 software, it is important that you delete it to avoid conflicts with the new wireless setup.

… you need to print a snazzy presentation for class.

The Digital Store prints posters, transparencies and promotional material at the Library building and at Loyola in the CC building. In addition to printing stuff, Copies Concordia also does postcards and t-shirts (if you want to get creative) 1520 de Maisonneuve Blvd.

… you’ve been accused of plagiarism or cheating on an exam (eep!).

First off, don’t do the above. But if you are accused of an academic offense, you could be charged under the university’s Academic Code of Conduct and the Code of Rights and Responsibilities. Meet up with a Concordia Student Union student advocate (ext. 7313) or an advocate with the university (ext. 5249); they can can defend you in hearing and appeals, and help you with other academic problems.

… you keep forgetting when stuff is due, when you’re supposed to meet people, etc.

Pick up a free CSU agenda in room H-711 (grab one soon, they go fast) or QPIRG’s School Schmool “free activist day planner” for a toonie (suggested donation) at 1500 de Maisonneuve Blvd., suite 204.

LIFE

… you need a new OPUS pass.

You have until Halloween to get your OPUS card. You have to be a full-time student between the ages 18 and 25, and living in Montreal. On Sept. 20 and 21, you can have your photo taken for slightly cheaper in the McConnell Library building between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. instead of at 2020 University St. Fill out the application form, get it stamped at Birks, and bring along your old card if you have one, proof of address (no leases) and $10 or $14 (if you’re getting your first card).

… you need a job.

Check out the CSU’s job bank at www.classifieds.csu.qc.ca, or scan the postings on the fourth floor of the Hall building downtown, or the second floor of the CC building at Loyola. Counselling and Development has the Career and Placement Service, and provides workshops for job hunting (ext. 3545 SGW, Ext. 3555 Loyola). Check out the Life Notebook next week for an extensive guide for getting a job.

… your landlord/boss is being a douche.

Drop in to the CSU’s Housing and Job Bank to speak to a fellow student, who can provide you with legal information and possible recourses on rental and employment questions. They also have a housing bank. Hall building, mezz floor H-260.

… you want to immigrate to Canada.

The CSU’s Legal Information Clinic helps students work on permanent resident applications. And avoid “immigration consultations’ – they charge high fees. Ext. 7375. Questions about your student visa? Call up the International Students Office at ext. 3515.

… you need some cash for school.

Pay a visit to the Financial Aid and Awards Office, which has moved to the second floor of the GM building. They have information on awards, loans, and bursaries. For awards and bursaries, apply early and often, and make sure you have all the required info — like letters, transcripts and financial status — prepared. The FAAO is open evenings during September. Ext. 3507.

… you’re feeling under the weather.

Whether you have a cold, maybe an STD, or are feeling unshakeably blue, you can go to the walk-in clinic at Health Services or book an appointment with a nurse, doctor or psychologist. Health Services has moved to the second floor of the GM building. If you’re at Loyola, you’ll find it on the basement floor of the AD building. Ext. 3565 (SGW), 3575 (Loyola).

… you need to boost your marks.

The Student Success Centre has a bunch of resources, including workshops, student mentors and help with writing: www.studentsuccess.concordia.ca. For tutors, call the Dean of Students at ext. 4239 or 3517.

… you’ve got kids, and need a child-friendly place to be on campus.

Visit the Student Parents Centre, a resource for students with kids, in Room 200, 2150 Bishop St. Ext. 5954.

… your escalator has stopped working.

Breathe. Start actually walking up to your floor.

FOOD

… you are hungry and have no money for groceries.

Everyone loves the People’s Potato, a free vegan lunch and staple of Concordia life, served every weekday on the seventh floor. It’s a bit of a wait, so bring Tupperware to jump into the shorter line. Stuck at Loyola? Visit the Loyola Luncheon, the Potato’s cousin, above the cafeteria.

The Multi-Faith Chaplaincy’s Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard offers a vegan meal on Thursdays during the semester in Z-102 on Mackay Street ($2 suggested donation). If it’s an emergency, and you need groceries, book an appointment at the Chaplaincy ( ext. 3593) to see if you can get a gift card to local grocery stores. They range from $50-100 depending on your situation.

… you need a caffeine injection.

There are over a dozen coffee options downtown, but Myriade serves up the yummiest coffee and tea this side of Montreal at a small cafe and terrasse on 1432 Mackay St. For a cheap fix, head up to the seventh floor of the EV building to Cafe X, the only student-run cafe at SGW. Bring a mug and fill up on organic snacks. At Loyola, the frat-and-sorority-run G Lounge dishes out the java on the cavernous, spacious and quiet fourth floor of the CC building.

TRANSIT

… the shuttle bus has vanished, and you need to get to the other campus. Now.

It’s about a 45-minute commute by public transit — which is sometimes better than taking the shuttle bus. Catch the metro at Guy-Concordia towards Angrignon. Two stops later, at Lionel-Groulx metro, cross the platform to the orange line. Ride the line two stops to Vendôme, and get on the 105 Sherbrooke bus, which comes every few minutes during peak times, and stops right in front of the AD building towards the end of the line.

… you need to figure out how to get somewhere by public transit.

Calculate your BMW route (bus, metro, walk) at www.stm.info/azimuts/index.htm.

For the Bixi bike, check online www.bixi.com/the-stations, or download one of a few Bixi navigation apps for smartphones, like Bixou or Montreal Bike Map.

NB: Dial Concordia’s number 514-848-2424 before any of the extensions mentioned.

FUN

… you have no friends.

… you need to get out of Montreal.

… you are drunk.

… you want to lend a hand.

SCHOOL

… you need to pull an all-nighter.

… your computer is broken.

… you need a wireless connection.

LIFE

… you need a new OPUS pass.

… you need a job.

… your landlord/boss is being a douche.

… you want to immigrate to Canada.

… you need some cash for school.

… you’re feeling under the weather.

… you need to boost your marks.

… your escalator has stopped working.

FOOD

… you need a caffeine injection.

TRANSIT