City in brief: Sept. 28, 2010

300 women march to “Take Back the Night”

Rainy weather didn’t prevent around 300 women from marching to denounce sexual violence in the annual Women Take Back the Night March last Friday night. Women of all ages put on their best rain gear to make the walk through downtown, cheering “La rue, la nuit, les femmes sans peur,” the Gazette reported. The march symbolically asserts the right of all women to walk through the streets at night without fearing sexual assault. The event originated in Philadelphia in 1975, and similar marches have been held across the globe ever since.

Raise a glass to Richler

Somewhere, Canadian literature icon Mordechai Richler must be laughing. Last Tuesday, a pub crawl was held to raise funds for a writers-in-residence program in his name at McGill. Richler, who set the stories of his childhood community in Jewish Montreal in his books, had highlighted McGill’s quota system for Jews during that era. Faced with the quota, Richler instead attended Sir George Williams University, one of Concordia’s precursors, although he did not finish his degree. Richler pub crawlers shelled out either $50 or $150 to nosh and listen to some anecdotes about the renowned author and his friends.

The Economist ranks JMSB in top 100 MBA programs

Weekly British newsmagazine the Economist ranked the John Molson School of Business as one of the top 100 masters in business administration programs in the world. JMSB placed 96th in the rankings, which were included in a feature dubbed “Which MBA?” No other Quebec university cracked the list, but JMSB did fall behind three other Canadian business schools, notably York University’s Schulich School of Business which placed 10th overall. The list, which evaluates MBAs based on criteria like career opportunities, earnings and educational experience, was dominated by American schools, which held the top four spots, and six in the top ten.

No food for thought

McGill students rallied last week over the closing of a favourite student-run café before the first senate meeting of the year, which was set for last Wednesday, the McGill Daily reported. Over 300 students protested the closure of Architecture Café, one of the few student-run food providers at the university. The Architecture Students’ Association, which ran the café, has said that they “think” it was making money. Deputy provost Morton Mendelson contrarily stated that the café was indeed losing money, but has not made the business’ accounts public as of yet. A Sept. 7 memorandum addressed to Mendelson proposed that the café be reopened under joint management by ASA and the Engineering Undergraduate Society. McGill president Heather Munroe-Blum reportedly said while walking past the rally, “It’s just part of life in university.” What – protests or lack of coffee?