From the beehive: Sept. 7, 2010

After easily taking care of Guelph in an exhibition game last week, the Stingers football team traveled to Bishop’s to open the regular season, winning 17-14 in front of a crowd of just under 2,000.

Rookie linebacker Max Caron, who some are expecting to fill the void left by departed linebacker Cory Greenwood, (who recently made the NFL, details below) helped his team by tipping a Jesse Andrews’ pass to himself and coming down with it in the end zone. Caron earned QUFL defensive player of the week for his play by adding 3.5 tackles to his game-winning interception.

Concordia’s only other touchdown was a 20-yarder caught by receiver Liam Mahoney with under a minute left in the first half, giving Concordia a 10-7 lead they would not relinquish. Though the Stingers were outgained by the Gaiters 301-260 yards, a lack of discipline (19 penalties for 153 yards) and an inability to hold onto the football (four fumbles, two lost, in addition to two interceptions) prevented Bishop’s from going anywhere. Though the Gaiters found themselves in Stingers territory three times in just the final quarter, Concordia’s strong D, led by Alex Lemire’s 7.5 tackles, were able to keep them out of the end zone, holding on for the final 17-14 win.

While the current Stingers football team had a great opening weekend, so too did former all-star linebacker Cory Greenwood. Greenwood, who was drafted third overall in May’s CFL draft but instead signed with the NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs (“From The Beehive,” June 8), officially made the team’s 53-man roster by surviving the final round of cuts.

Greenwood will likely receive the rookie minimum of $350,000, (more than the average CFL player will make in their career), while being relegated to a special teams role for most, if not all, of the season. It was Greenwood’s special teams play that caught the eye of Chiefs coaches in the first place, and if he plays well, he could start seeing more snaps on the defensive side of the ball.

The Stingers host the Université de Montréal Carabins Saturday in their home opener, 1:00 pm at Loyola Field.

The Chiefs open their season against the San Diego Chargers Sept. 13.