Home Nation in brief: Sept. 21, 2010

Nation in brief: Sept. 21, 2010

by admin September 21, 2010

Nation in brief: Sept. 21, 2010

by admin September 21, 2010

Social media another source of suffering for rape victim

The trauma isn’t over for a 16-year-old girl who was raped at a rural rave in B.C. last week, after photos and video of the event were posted to Facebook and other social networking sites. The father of the girl, who was drugged before being raped by seven males at the Sept. 10 party, has made a plea to the public for privacy so that his daughter can begin to move on. Saying that the Internet photos have only made things worse for her, the father has asked people to take down all posts associated with the event. Two males are facing charges for the incident. The 16-year-old boy who posted photos on Facebook was arrested and released but could be charged with distributing child pornography.

Language referees: PQ mad at lack of francos on Habs

Pauline Marois took a shot at the Montreal Canadians organization this past week, saying that the team doesn’t reflect the francophone reality of the city. The Habs “do more for federalism, in my point of view, than for defending our interests and, among other things, our reality as the francophones of America,” said Marois. One Parti Quebecois MLA even claimed a federalist plot was responsible for the decreased francophone presence. The argument from the PQ camp is by no means a new one, but team president Pierre Boivin pointed out that 11 of the 31 players invited to Habs training camp were francophones. With the provincial government hoping to garner financial support from Ottawa to build a hockey arena that could help bring the Nordiques back to Quebec, the PQ may want to rethink their federalist-bashing game plan.

Happy 18th b-day, here’s $1 million

One day after turning 18, the legal gambling age in Canada, Winnipeg native Taylor Witzke won $1 million on a scratch lotto ticket. After celebrating her birthday on Sept. 6, Witzke decided to enjoy her newfound adulthood by heading to the Club Regent Casino with a friend the very next day. The teen spent, and lost, $20 gambling but on her way out decided to pick up four “Set for Life” scratch-and-win tickets. After winning $5 from a ticket in the first batch, Witzke bought another ticket which ended up winning her the jackpot $1 million prize. Apparently the 18-year-old is planning to buy her mother a Camaro and take a few vacations. Just a few?

MPs back to work, with guns on the mind

Insults, yelling and anger… parliament must be back in session. Weeks after the country’s students headed back to class, Canada’s MPs returned to parliament Monday. According to government house leader John Baird, the Conservatives are planning to focus their attention on the economy this fall, though the expected hot topic for many is undeniably the long-gun registry, which has been the controversial subject of the summer. NDP leader Jack Layton pledged last week that enough of his party’s MPs would vote with the party line to save the registry. Twelve rogue NDP members along with eight rogue liberals originally allowed the Tory bill to reach the stage of a second reading in the minority parliament, but party leaders seem to have cracked the whip and the bill is expected to fail.