Home Orientation concert moved Loyola after city denies permit for Mackay St.

Orientation concert moved Loyola after city denies permit for Mackay St.

by admin September 7, 2010

by admin September 7, 2010

With memories of last year’s orientation concert fiasco lingering, the CSU has decided to set up in its own backyard. On Sept. 9, 2010 Juno award winning artist K’naan and Montreal’s Chromeo will be headlining this year’s orientation concert at the Loyola Quad located in Notre-Dame-de-Gr’ce.

The CSU originally intended to host the concert on Mackay St. but were turned down by the city of Montreal for the second time in two years. After being denied use of the street last year to host the Snoop Dogg performance, the CSU was forced to find an alternative venue, which resulted in severely limiting the amount of students able to attend.

“We were optimistic about using Mackay St. but expected to have some road blocks,” explained CSU Orientation Concert Director Morgan Steiker. “Unfortunately there are a series of circumstances, including the fact that the city is really cracking down on noise complaints from outdoor events- anything that’s not Jazz fest or Just for Laughs.”

Steiker added that previous organizers did little to talk to residents living close to the Sir George Williams campus downtown about the orientation concert. Even after printing advertisements, canvassing the neighbourhood surrounding Mackay St. and trying to reach out to residents, the CSU was forced to find a replacement venue.

“In the end the politics are the major factor and something that is out of our hands,” said Steiker.

The Loyola quad seemed like a natural fit and a bargain for the CSU after looking at a variety of large and small venues. Peter Bolla, Concordia’s associate vice-president of Facilities Management, explained that the university will not be charging the CSU for the use of the space and that the shuttle service will be increased to get students from the downtown core to the show.

Bolla said that he believes there has never been an event of this size held on the property. There will be a limited amount of wristbands given out to students, as Bolla estimates that the capacity of the Loyola Quad is somewhere between 5,000 and 7,000. Students will be able to pick up their wristbands beginning on Sept. 7.