World in brief: Sept. 7, 2010

Good will, guns and grenades

A Goodwill store in Albuqurque, New Mexico was surprised to find a donation in the form of marijuana, a gun, ammunition and a grenade that was dropped off in one of their collection boxes. The local bomb squad needed to be called in and the staff was reportedly evacuated, though the grenade was apparently a WWII relic and therefore no longer a threat. Apparently guns are actually not an uncommon donation at the store, though they choose to give them back to police instead of the needy gun enthusiasts.

Get these motherf****** snakes out of his luggage?

Kuala Lumpur International Airport was faced with an all too cinematic situation a few weeks ago and Samuel L. Jackson was nowhere in sight. Keng Liang Wong’s luggage had apparently made it past airport security only to have the 95 living boa constrictors he was smuggling spill out on a luggage conveyor belt. Wong, who had a history of smuggling and had spent six years in a U.S. prison for sneaking reptiles into the country, was arrested and sentenced to six months in Malaysian prison. Next time the “Lizard King” – as some have dubbed him – may think twice about forgetting to snake-proof the inside of his luggage – since security apparently wasn’t

the problem.

200 lying pilots fly Chinese skies

A report by Chinese officials released Monday reports that 200 pilots were found to have lied about their flying histories. The head of the civil aviation administration revealed the results of an investigation between 2008 and 2009 that found at least 200 pilots had falsified their flight records before being hired by various airlines in the country. One of the airlines responsible for more than half of those hiring was involved in a deadly plane crash this August that killed 42 people and injured another 54. It was not revealed whether the plane’s pilot was one of those who had faked his records.

Craigslist adult services section gets tossed out

Many prostitutes are looking for a new place to advertise after Craigslist shut down the adult services section of its website. The removal took place only two weeks after 17 state attorneys general demanded that the section be shut down as it did couldn’t defend against illegal ads that fostered prostitution and child trafficking. Where an erotic tab used to exist on the American website, a black and white “censored” icon now sits. Other countries’ versions, like that of Canada, still sport the adult services option, however, both under “services” and “gigs.”

Tony Blair book signing goes bad

Former British PM Tony Blair may have only recently left the political scene, but he has already left a lasting impression on the book scene. Blair was forced to cancel a London book signing this week after he received quite a poor reception at a similar event in Dublin over the weekend. Protestors, unhappy with his decision to enter the Iraq war, nailed Blair with eggs, shoes and even bottles. The promotional tour was for his new memoir A Journey, from which all proceeds go to a charity for troops injured in battle. In the book, Blair says he does not regret his decision on Iraq, though a few more bottles to the head may change his mind.

Good will, guns and grenades

the problem.

200 lying pilots fly Chinese skies

Tony Blair book signing goes bad