Home City in brief: Oct. 26, 2010

City in brief: Oct. 26, 2010

by admin October 26, 2010

City in brief: Oct. 26, 2010

by admin October 26, 2010

CSU smiles for camera

After blistering coverage early Wednesday morning on CBC Montreal radio, the Concordia Student Union has decided to acquiesce to a request to invite CUTV to film monthly monthly meetings, saying the two will collaborate on a motion to present at the next council meeting. On Oct. 12, council shot down a motion 13-6 to invite CUTV to film the meeting and then distribute the footage to students. Councillors and executive members who voted against the motion cited concerns over privacy, student apathy and voter intimidation, while others advocated for it on the grounds of transparency. Daybreak host Mike Finnerty spoke to CUTV station manager Laura Kneale and motion co-author Joel Suss, and pondered why president Heather Lucas and VP external and projects Adrien Severyns did not answer their call to come on the show and explain why they were against the motion. In a press release, Lucas explained they were busy with the Elie Wiesel lecture.

Montreal police re-evaluate conjugal violence guidelines

Following the alleged murder of a 28-year-old woman by her ex-husband, the Montreal police have announced that they will implement new guidelines when evaluating cases of conjugal violence. Maria Altagracia, a resident of Montreal North, filed a complaint against her former spouse with the police six days before she was slain, the Gazette reported. The new guidelines will help officers evaluate reports of conjugal violence and establish the role the officer should play in responding to reports. Officers investigating conjugal visits will also receive additional training to determine the risk of murder following a domestic dispute.

Drug ring on Mount Royal keeps on rolling

Montreal Police are a bit disappointed with the lack of results following numerous crackdowns on dealers that call the greens of Mount Royal their turf. Known as an illicit substance hot spot since the first Tams 20 years ago, the statue of Sir George-Étienne Cartier is still seen as the centre of activity for buyers and sellers. Station 38 Commander Stéphane Bélanger described the situation as a “never-ending cycle” as long as there is a demand. Bélanger added that the sheer amount of ground to be covered adds another challenge. The Montreal Police said that they were not willing to post officers at the foot of the statue 24/7.

Warning: this newspaper is flammable near metro equipment

Rush hour commuters were treated to almost an hour of weary-eyed delays Monday morning after the STM closed the orange line between Côte-Vertu and Lionel-Groulx stations. The delay, which lasted 55 minutes, followed a report that smoke was emanating from a garage in the bowels of the Metro at 9 a.m. Firefighters investigated the smoke and determined that a small fire was sparked by newspapers littering the Côte-Vertu station after the piles were blown into the tunnel near some equipment.

CSU smiles for camera