Concordia women?s soccer team falls to third-place Laval

Concordia’s womens’ soccer team put up a solid performance Sunday afternoon, but lost 3-1 to the Laval Rouge et Or.

Laval gained possession of the ball during the first few minutes of the game, but the Stingers were still able to exert some pressure. The first half of the game ended at 2-0 for Laval as they scored once on a penalty shot and again from around 35 yards from the goal.

The second half of the game proved tough for the Stingers, as they seemed to have lost focus and the team was unable to shake off their frustration over lost opportunities.

Midway through the second half, Concordia forward Sarah Burge found herself in a one on one position against Laval’s goalkeeper and sent the ball straight into the net.

Cheers erupted from a few corners of the sparsely filled stadium as the wind raged throughout the game. The wind made it harder for the players to gain control of the ball, and for fans to watch the game.

With eight minutes left until the final whistle, Laval’s Genevieve Prince kicked the ball right into the bottom right corner of Concordia’s net, sealing the score at 3-1.

“We’re seeing progress, we’re seeing better decision-making, it’s just a matter of when they (Laval) have opportunities they take advantage of them, when we get opportunities we don’t, so that’s what cost us in this game,” said the Stingers’ head coach Jorge Sanchez.

Concordia’s goalkeeper Andrea Davidson’s talents shone through in this game, as she blocked three attacks during the second half, saving the Stingers from a different end to the game.

Unfortunately, the team’s overall efforts were not paying off. “I think our team is better than our records and our results show,” said Sanchez, convinced that they deserved better.

The Stingers entered the game coming off a 2-0 loss at home to Sherbrooke in the windy and rainy conditions from Friday night.

Davidson made 14 stops in the game, while the Stingers could only muster three shots on net against the Vert et Or.

With the loss, the Stingers now sit in sixth place with four games to go in the regular season.

The next game will take place Friday, Oct. 22 against the second-place Universite de Montreal.