Home Di Grappa quits after almost 25 years

Di Grappa quits after almost 25 years

by admin October 3, 2010

Di Grappa quits after almost 25 years

by admin October 3, 2010

After almost 25 years working in Concordia’s administration, vice-president of services Michael Di Grappa is moving on to bigger and better things — namely, a new job at McGill University.

Concordia announced Sept. 29 that Di Grappa will be stepping down Oct. 31 to become the new VP administration and finance at McGill.

Di Grappa said he was approached over the summer by a headhunter on behalf of the university. The hiring was decided upon by McGill’s board of governors at a Sept. 28 meeting.

The decision was not an easy one. “It’s extremely difficult. I’ve only known one employer my whole career, although I’ve changed position within Concordia from time to time in 1986,” Di Grappa said. “The thought of leaving Concordia was a scary one, and something I didn’t take lightly.”

But Di Grappa decided to make the jump. “I realized it was a big opportunity and a big challenge and I thought it would be something that would be wonderful to try,” he said.

He will be taking on the financial portfolio, which he says is more complex work to handle. And the prospect of McGill as a strong research university was also promising.

Di Grappa received his degree from Concordia’s School of Community and Public Affairs in 1984, and completed a master’s degree in public policy and administration at New York’s Columbia University. He completed an internship at Concordia in summer 1985, working on the planning of the Library-McConnell building, and began his career in 1986 as an assistant to the Office of the Rector. He has held the position of VP services since 2000.

Notably, Di Grappa filled in as acting president of the university following the departure of Claude Lajeunesse from the top job in November 2007, until the hiring of current president Judith Woodsworth in July 2008.

Di Grappa declined in a phone interview last week to discuss his potential change in salary. But records from McGill show that François R. Roy, the last person to hold the post of VP administration and finance at McGill, received a base salary in 2008-2009 of almost $275,000; with other elements added, his total salary was just over $300,000. For that same year, according to Concordia, when Di Grappa was VP services and acting president, his base salary was just over $240,179, for a total just over $330,042. The potential difference in salary between the two jobs could be an extra $30,000 at Concordia.

When asked to describe any notable moments from his time at Concordia, Di Grappa revealed he was proud of overseeing the revitalization of the Loyola campus, as well as the recent additions of the MB and EV buildings, and the acquisition of the Grey Nuns property for student residences.