Home Fiction mixtape: I Love You, Side A: a sentiment in 60 minutes

Fiction mixtape: I Love You, Side A: a sentiment in 60 minutes

by admin October 12, 2010

by admin October 12, 2010

In High Fidelity, John Cusack says that you have to be careful making a mixtape, because you’re using someone else’s words to express your own emotions. Well, I came up with the best “I Love You’ tape ever for Cheryl.

Listen along

#1: “Hey” by The Pixies. That guy Black Francis was a total genius. I mean, who else could come up with the line “been trying to meet you, must be a devil between us”? That’s so perfect. I just couldn’t figure out a way to talk to her until I saw her wearing that Velvet Underground t-shirt. That’s when I knew she was the girl for me.

#2: “Pale Blue Eyes” by The Velvet Underground. Cheryl has blue eyes and she has the shirt; it’s totally perfect. They say that the first song of any mixtape is supposed to be amazing, but the second song should be even better — that it should actually be the best song of the whole mix, and it is. It’s just so slow and pretty. It’s practically our song. I even made it so that it was playing in my car when I picked her up to take her out for coffee for the fist time.

#3: “Do You Like Me” by Fugazi. I figured that just in case it wasn’t already clearly an “I Love You’ tape, I should just come out and say it and then see what she thinks. I’m not really sure if love is what Guy is screaming about when he keeps on saying “do you like me?” over and over. I mean, they were pretty punk, so I don’t know if they’d sing about love per se. But, within the context of the rest of the tape, I think it’s clear that it’s actually me talking to Cheryl about how I feel.

#4: “The Hymn for the Cigarettes” by Hefner. I knew that after that, I had to slow it down a little. And I know that all girls (the ones worth dating at least) love pop music from the UK. I was thinking Belle & Sebastian, but that was a little too obvious. So I went with Hefner, who are cooler than Belle & Sebastian anyways, because all of their songs are about girls, smoking, or both. It was between “The Sweetness Lies Within” and “The Hymn for the Cigarettes.” I went for “Hymn” for two reasons: one, the line about loving it when girls smoke, because Cheryl smokes, and two, it contains the line “how can she love me if she doesn’t even love the cinema that I love?” Because Cheryl does love the movies I love. We love the same stuff in everything that’s important: music, movies, books… everything.

#5: “New Partner” by Palace Music. So far all the songs are rock, and since this is a mixtape after all, I figured I should throw something else in. As a result, song number five is “New Partner”: without a doubt the greatest song Will Oldham ever wrote. It’s probably the best country song of all time. The guitars sound so warm, and I’m pretty sure the harmonies are improvised. I love it when he sings “I’ve got a new partner riding with me.” Because Cheryl is totally my new partner. I mean, we’ve only been dating for two months, but I know that she’s the one. It was basically written for us.

#6: “Captain Badass” by Songs: Ohia. I decided that I should keep things kind of slow and soft for a bit longer to create an effect. Everyone knows that Axxess & Ace is the best make-out album of all time, so it was an easy choice. This part is brilliant: “quote captain badass: I am setting your heart on fire so when you leave me I will burn on in your soul, you won’t have to think twice if it’s love, you will know.” I mean, it’s not like Cheryl would ever leave me, but the part about her heart being on fire for me and how she’ll just know that it’s love and we’re meant to be together – it’s just perfect. I love that part.

#7: “Close to Me” by The Cure. Sure Robert Smith was mopey, but he could sure write love songs. He totally knew what it was like to need to tell someone you love them: “I’ve been waiting hours for this, I made myself so sick,” and then later “I never thought this day would end, I never though tonight would be this close to me.” And that’s exactly what this tape is: me telling Cheryl how I feel. Plus, the hand claps are absolutely perfect.

It’s only a 60-minute tape, so that’s the whole first side. Like I said: best “I Love You’ tape ever.

Side B:

1. “With Arms Outstretched” – Rilo Kiley – The Execution of All Things, 2002

2. “Lost Continent” – Joel RL Phelps & The Downer Trio – Blackbird, 2001

3. “Walkin’ After Midnight” – Patsy Cline – Patsy Cline, 1957

4. “The Bad Arts” – Destroyer Wiki – Streethawk: A Seduction, 2001

5. “Honolulu” – Chet – EP, 2003

6. “Today” – The Innocence Mission – Small Planes, 2001

7. “Fade Into You” – Mazzy Star – So Tonight That I Might See, 1993

8. “Say Yes” – Elliott Smith – Either/Or, 1997