Home Stingers destroy Sherbrooke 92-0 in women?s rugby blowout

Stingers destroy Sherbrooke 92-0 in women?s rugby blowout

by admin October 4, 2010

by admin October 4, 2010

The only question heading into the women’s rugby game against Sherbrooke on Sunday was not will they win, but will they outscore last week’s beating on Bishop’s 65-0? The Stingers didn’t disappoint with a 92-0 rout of the Sherbrooke Vert et Or to remain undefeated.

“At one point I looked up at the scoreboard near the end of the game and thought it was 35-0,” said captain Claire Hortop, “but in the sun I couldn’t see the line. I guess at that point it was 85-0, not 35-0. I was shocked at the end when it was 92.”

Concordia was unstoppable from the opening whistle to the 80th minute. The Vert et Or’s tackling was extremely weak and it took at least two players to take one Stinger down. Often Concordia just ran right through Sherbrooke’s arms. “If you don’t tackle in rugby it’s kind of hard to stop us from scoring,” said head coach Graeme McGravie.

The Stingers used this game as an opportunity for their reserves to log some game experience. They also tried to take the opportunity to work on some of their set-plays, but often didn’t even get the chance. “We actually kept trying to get a five-metre scrum because we wanted to work on driving those five metres,” said Hortop before joking about sabotaging a scoring chance to work on a scrum instead.

Like clockwork, Concordia scored every ten-minute interval in the first half. Near the end of the game they had fine tuned the scoring to two-minute intervals. In total the Stingers scored an astounding 14 tries and 11 conversions.

Scorers were Emma Gaudet-Reichelson (three for the second time in as many weeks), Jackie Tittley (two and 22 points in kicks), Claire Hortop, Cara Stucky, Erika Hamilton, Patricia Lapierre, Katrina Cohen-Palacios, Mandie Aldridge, Laura Ng, Melissa Gagnon and Hughanna Gaw.

You can count the number of times the Vert et Or had possession in Stinger territory on one hand.

There were displays of Stinger strength all over the field. From the forwards to the backs it seemed like the only time Sherbrooke got a break was when Concordia messed up.

The last two weeks have been light for the Stingers, playing the weaker Bishops and Sherbrooke, but the true test of the team will come in the next two weeks. On Sunday they face the Laval Rouge et Or and exactly a week later they square off against the McGill Martlets.

If the team beats Laval this week they will be guaranteed a first-place finish. After debating every possible outcome and the affect it would have on the standings in the upcoming games, McGravie stating it simply as, “really we just want to go there and kick the crap out of them.”

The Stingers will play Laval on Sunday at PEPS Stadium in Quebec City at 1 p.m.