Home Victorious homecoming for the Stingers men?s hockey team

Victorious homecoming for the Stingers men?s hockey team

by admin October 19, 2010

by admin October 19, 2010

The Stingers secured their first home game this season with a convincing 6-3 win against the Ottawa Gee-Gees on Sunday afternoon.

The game was played at a high level of intensity, which led to some rough play from both teams they combined for 112 penalty minutes, handed out on 25 infractions.

A good portion of these penalties came with 4:36 left to the game when Concordia’s Corey Garland hit Ottawa’s Gabriel Houde near the boards. A fight between the two ensued. Both received five minutes for fighting and 10 minutes for game misconducts, Houde also got two roughing penalties and Garland a boarding one. Stingers’ Alexis Piette and Gee-Gees’ Scott Ashton also received 10 minutes and game misconducts.

Besides the penalties, the match also gave place to skilled play. The first period saw Concordia having the more dangerous opportunities.

Concordia opened the scoring at 16:31 on a two on one offensive rush. Concordia’s Eric Begin passed to a streaking Kiefer Orsini who redirected the puck behind the Ottawa goaltender. A powerplay goal by Ottawa’s Matthieu Methot with 46 second left in the first evened the score at one.

In the second period, Ottawa took two early penalties, putting Concordia on a five-on-three power play. At 3:14, Concordia took advantage of the situation; Marc-Andre Element was able to take the puck in a scrum in front of the net and put it in. At 4:59, on a three on one rush, the Stingers’ Derek Famulare deferred to a trailing Orsini who tallied his second goal of the game with a top-shelf shot making it 3-1 for the Maroon and Gold.

Concordia dominated the second period. Methot scored again in the late part of the period to cut Concordia’s lead to one going into the final period.

The first five minutes of the third period did not see either team take the upper hand. Concordia goaltender Maxime Joyal, who received 30 shots, made several critical saves but none bigger than the theft he committed against Methot. Joyal dove to his left to stop what would have been a sure goal and protected Concordia’s lead. Right after this play, the Stingers’ George Lovatsis found the puck in the neutral zone, skated into Ottawa territory, got to the high slot and fired a wrist shot that sailed, pad side, behind the goal line.

Ottawa was, again, able to bring the difference back to one on a shorthanded breakaway by Sean Smyth. However, Concordia responded quickly due to Ottawa’s indiscipline. With 7:51 left in the game, on a five-on-three power play, Lovatsis took the rebound of Orsini’s shot and propelled Concordia up 5-3. Derek Famulare added the assurance goal with a little more than five minutes left to make it 6-3.

Stingers’ head coach Kevin Figsby said that it was “important to rebound” after a controversial loss and that his team “dominated the play.”

Concordia’s record for the season is 3-1; they are currently second in their division tied with two other teams and two points out of first place.

The Stingers hit the ice again Oct. 21 at home against the Nipissing Lakers at 7:30 p.m.