Home Win slips away from Concordia men?s soccer team

Win slips away from Concordia men?s soccer team

by admin October 26, 2010

by admin October 26, 2010

The Stingers’ men soccer team were four minutes away from what would have been a third victory this season, but ultimately walked away with a 2-2 tie against the Montréal Carabins on Friday night.

The tying goal came from a free kick by Montréal. Maxime Laurey passed to Nawar Hanna, whose strike found the back of the net, to the dismay of Concordia goalkeeper Khalid Ismail, and of the courageous Concordia Stadium crowd that battled a freezing cold night to support their team.

At the time of the goal, Concordia was playing one man short due to the ejection of Claude-Arthur Diesse at the 67th minute. Diesse intentionally stepped on the back of the leg of a Montréal defenceman because he thought he had been fouled on a previous play.

The first goal was scored by the Carabins four minutes into the game. Damir Rosic redirected a Maxime Laurey corner kick behind goalkeeper Nicholas Giannone.

The first half was dominated by Concordia. They held possession for the majority of the half and were the more aggressive team when pursuing the ball.

They had multiple chances to tie the score. At the 22nd minute, Diesse passed through the defensive line to a streaking Peter Bow, who was unable to gather enough control on the ball to challenge the Montréal goaltender with a dangerous shot. Immediately after, Concordia star forward Matthijs Eppinga skirted past Montréal’s defence and produced a powerful strike, but it missed.

Concordia was unable to produce goals out of the many opportunities that they had. Corners and free kicks were aborted, until the last play of the half. During the stoppage time, Eppinga fed Shady Shalaby with a heel pass, leaving him alone against the goalie that he beat with a strong strike only seconds before the referee blew the whistle. The score was tied at one at the end of the half.

The start of the second half was played by both teams with a sense of urgency. However, foul calls by the referees slowed down the game’s pace.

Moments before Diesse’s ejection, Concordia was able to take the lead. At the 64th minute, Ryan Brousseau lobbed the ball in front of the Montréal goal; Christian Auld jumped toward the ball and connected with a header that soared in the goal, making it 2-1.

Another chance, at the 74th minute, on a counterattack initiated by Eppinga, Peter Bow presented himself in front of the goal but was robbed by Montréal’s keeper Grégory Morin-Maltais.

Before Montréal tied, Concordia was able to resist many attacks by the Carabins. Concordia goalkeeper Ismail, who replaced Giannone at half time, made many important saves in the last 20 minutes of the game to maintain their lead.

At the 83rd minute, the Concordia’s defence came up big, clearing a pass that was destined for a Montréal forward who beat the offside trap. If not for this clear, the player would have been alone with only the keeper to beat.

The Stingers were shut out by UQAM Sunday afternoon by a score of 2-0.

After this weekend, Concordia’s record stands at 2-7-1. They are still chasing the fourth and last playoff spot, which is held by Montréal.

Concordia will take on McGill at Molson Stadium on Friday at 8:30 p.m., and UQTR at CAPS in Trois-Rivières on Sunday at 3 p.m.