Home City in brief: Nov. 23, 2010

City in brief: Nov. 23, 2010

by admin November 23, 2010

City in brief: Nov. 23, 2010

by admin November 23, 2010

McGill student council debates drinking games

After it came out last week that ASFA and CSU cultural nights had been advertising “all -you-can-drink events” illegally, another student council has encountered potential legal ramifications associated with serving alcohol. The Students’ Society of McGill University’s executive committee released a report mid-month to SSMU council that approved drinking games at Gerts, McGill’s student campus bar, the McGill Daily reported. The subsequent discussion among executive members and councillors was centered around whether the decision about drinking games was illegal and whether this would jeopardize SSMU’s liquor license. However, the debate was removed from the meeting’s minutes and executives told Daily reporters not to report on the issue. The liquor license is currently being negotiated with the university administration.

McGill charges its grad students for study space

McGill University’s faculty of arts will be charging $200 for graduate students to rent study space in the campus’ Ferrier building from January to August 2011, the McGill Daily reported. Associate dean Juliet Johnson offered that space to arts graduate students in an email sent out Nov. 8. She said the decision was made out of “equity concerns” and to ensure that the study space would not go to waste. PhD student Emily Essert raised objection to the measure to principal Heather Munroe-Blum (McGill’s counterpart to Judith Woodsworth) at a town hall meeting last week. Munroe-Blum was entirely unaware of the decision. Essert called the move is inappropriate and absurd, saying “All grad students deserve a place to work. It’s not a privilege, it’s a necessity.”

Charest will stay in Quebec for non-confidence vote

Premier Jean Charest announced last week that he will postpone a trip to France in order to face a non-confidence vote the Parti Québécois is expected to introduce Wednesday. The PQ has planned the vote in response to the lack of public inquiry into the allegations of corruption in the construction industry tied to political party financing. Charest maintains that corruption investigations are best run by the police, and his trip postponement does not mean that an inquiry will be opened. A police investigation into construction and collusion is expected to begin making arrests shortly.

Squirrels terrorize humans; humans complain

Regular visitors to Lafontaine Park in Plateau-Mont-Royal have been complaining of the “brazen” attitude some squirrels adopt as winter approaches. They told the CBC that the rodents get into strollers and bags, and eat snacks from children’s hands. Certified wildlife tracker Rob Baker explained that the squirrels eat up because of the encroaching winter, which this year is supposed to be especially cold. Since they don’t hibernate, squirrels build up a thick layer of fat to stay warm and fed. Experts say the blame lies squarely with people who feed the squirrels.