Home Defensive breakdown sinks the Stingers

Defensive breakdown sinks the Stingers

by admin November 23, 2010

Defensive breakdown sinks the Stingers

by admin November 23, 2010

Former Stinger Lisa Jordan was in town for a visit this weekend to face her old coach, Les Lawton.

Jordan, who graduated in 1996 with a B.Sc. in exercise science, is now at the helm of the Saint Mary’s Huskies and brought her team to Montreal for three exhibition games this weekend, a trip which culminated in a visit to Ed Meagher Arena.

The Stingers lost to Jordan’s Huskies 6-4 this weekend in the non-conference game. The two teams have been hosting each other at alternating universities every year for over 10 years. Despite the loss, Concordia still holds the all-time record which stands at 8-6.

Stephanie Peck got her first start of the season and was able to keep the Huskies off the board during the first period.

Despite firing 12 shots in the first at Jillian MacIsaac, who started again for Saint Mary’s, the Stingers couldn’t put one past her. Skating down on the right side, Erin Lally had a chance late in the period, but couldn’t get enough on the shot and MacIsaac quickly covered up.

The game would remain scoreless until five-and-a-half minutes into the second period, when defenceman Carla Little scored on Peck during a four-on-four situation. Six minutes later, Saint Mary’s assistant captain Courtney Schriver made a long lead pass to captian Kyla Thurston, who skated past the Stingers defenceman and scored to give the Huskies a two-goal lead.

But the Stingers wouldn’t be down for long. Alexandra D’Ambrosio scored Concordia’s first of the night and her first of the season 11 seconds later to cut the lead to one.

For the rest of the period, the two teams would trade goals.

With 7:27 to go in the period, Holli Monahan picked up the puck at the Saint Mary’s blue line. The other players had already cleared the zone, which left Monahan alone with MacIsaac, and she scored to tie the game at two.

Less than a minute later, Joanie Dubois scored for the Huskies on a shot that glided past Peck and into the net to regain the lead.

Danielle Scarlett scored her first goal of the season with about three minutes to go to even the score again. But 30 seconds later, Sarah Maynard beat Peck to give the Saint Mary’s the one-goal lead again.

Lally had another good chance to tie up the score but was stopped by MacIsaac. The period ended with the Stingers trailing 4-3.

Jenna Currie opened the scoring in the third and extended the Huskies’ lead to two goals.

Concordia had two opportunities to get back into the game on the man advantage when Schriver took penalties for cross-checking and then tripping, but the Stingers were unable to capitalize.

With five minutes left in the game, Concordia’s Keely Covo took a shot that rang off the inside crossbar and came out again to notch her second goal of the season and bring the game to within a goal.

But Saint Mary’s would strike again. Chelsea Osbaldeston’s shot made it through the traffic in front of the net and gave the Huskies the lead they would hold until the end of the game.

After the game, coach Lawton mentioned the lapses on defence as a key reason for the loss.

“We looked like we wanted to score goals from our end of the ice rather than defend our end of the ice.”

Exhibition games are often where teams will try out new lines and give players who don’t usually dress a chance to play, like Brianne Alfred.

Lawton named her as one of the players who provided an offensive spark for the team. Alfred is recovering from a concussion and had only played in one game before Sunday.”I thought I played pretty well, for the second game of the season. I could have had a bit more ice time, but I’ve been juggled around on lines. It’s tough, getting out there.”

But overall, Coach Lawton wasn’t happy with the effort.

“I thought we were flat, [we] didn’t play with [as] much emotion as we should have played with, so it was a disappointment from my point of view. […] We’ll have to work on the mental part, I think we have the skill level to do very well, but we just didn’t look like we wanted to play today.”

The Stingers are on the road this week; they play the Ottawa Gee-Gees Saturday, Nov. 27 at the uOttawa Sports Complex. Game time is 2 p.m.