Men?s hockey losing streak extends to four

The Stingers’ woes continue after they lost twice to the Lakehead Thunderwolves in a two-game home series this past weekend.

Concordia suffered a complete meltdown on Friday night and was outclassed 11-2 by Lakehead.

The Thunderwolves got on the board only 32 seconds after the game started. Brock McPherson made matters worse for the Stingers a minute later when he doubled the lead for the visitors. Sadly for Concordia, it was only the beginning of a very long game.

Lakehead added three more goals before the Stingers finally answered. Derek Famulare opened the score for Concordia with just under five minutes to go in the first frame. Stefan Lutzenkirchen picked up an assist on the play.

Maxime Joyal allowed three more goals in the first half of the second period before he was replaced by Sheldon Baerg. However, it didn’t stop Lakehead from adding another goal in the second period when forward Brennan Menard scored his second of the frame.

Dominic Martel scored the Stingers’s other goal of the game just over seven minutes into the third. Alexandre Monahan and Charles-Antoine Messier picked up points on the goal. It was too little too late as Lakehead then scored twice to end the game with a nine goal lead.

Concordia had a better game on Saturday but lost its fourth straight after giving up a big lead in the first period. The Thunderwolves scored five unanswered goals in the first and second periods before the Stingers got on the board.

Messier scored 4:52 into the second period off a pass from Monahan. Concordia added to the score just 20 seconds later when Kyle Kelly scored the Stingers’ second goal of the game; Monahan and Jesse Goodsell grabbed the assists.

Lakehead grabbed a four-goal lead back with just over three minutes remaining in the second period.

Concordia had an encouraging start in the third period, scoring two goals a minute apart. First, Monahan scored his ninth goal of the season, collecting his third point of the game. Messier got an assist on the powerplay tally. Then, George Lovatsis beat Thunderwolves goaltender Kyle Moir after passes from Goodsell and Joyal.

However, with 3:34 remaining in the third, Lakehead put the nail in the coffin when forward Devon Welsh beat Joyal to make the score 7-4.

Joyal allowed a total of 15 goals on 57 shots for the weekend.

The Stingers are now taking a break for the holidays. They will be back in action on Jan. 9 as they host powerhouse McGill Redmen at Ed Meagher Arena; the puck drops at 3 p.m.