Stingers earn the win in high-scoring game: now third place in conference

The Stingers came back twice from two-goal deficits to beat the Queen’s Golden Gaels 7-5 Saturday afternoon at the Ed Meagher Arena.

It marked the second win at home for Concordia this weekend as the Stingers defeated the Ryerson Rams 3-1 Friday night. Goaltender Maxime Joyal stopped 31 shots to grab the first star of the game.

At Saturday’s game, George Lovatsis, Lyle Van Wieren and Emile Bouchard scored one each for the Stingers. Concordia showed great intensity in the opening minutes, constantly keeping the puck in the Golden Gaels’ zone. However, Queen’s was the first to get on the board. After Bouchard was booked for tripping with just under seven minutes remaining in the first, Gaels forward Scott Kenway blasted a perfect shot from the slot past Joyal to score the opening goal. Jonathon Lawrance and Brock Ouellet picked up assists on the powerplay goal.

Queen’s kept working hard and it paid off as Lawrance scored the team’s second goal just four minutes later after a scrum in front of Concordia’s net. His linemates Ouellet and Kenway got the assists.

The Stingers had another strong start in the second period. Daniel Michalsky scored on the powerplay after a great pass by captain Marc-Andre Element. Lovatsis was also credited with an assist.

Concordia tied the game just over two minutes later when Kiefer Orsini blasted a powerful shot from the point that found the right corner of David Aime’s net. Stefan Lutzenkirchen and Bouchard assisted on the goal.

Right when the Stingers seemed to be back in the game, the Golden Gaels scored twice in 50 seconds to regain their two-goal lead. First, Joey Derochie went end-to-end on a spectacular individual play, before fooling Joyal with a perfect shot. Then, Ouellet picked up his third point of the game as he one-timed the puck over the Stingers’ goaltender’s shoulder. His linemates Kenway and Lawrance picked up assists once again.

The Stingers didn’t back down and matched the Gaels’ intensity, scoring twice in 45 seconds. At 12:18 of the second period, Dominic Martel scored his fourth of the season after redirecting a pass from Eric Begin. Alexandre Monahan also assisted on the play. Right after, Bouchard scored on a rebound after Alexis Piette made a great play to enter the Gaels’ zone.

Both teams played cautiously to start the third, trying to avoid giving up the next goal.

Concordia took the lead for the first time when Michalsky netted his second of the day just over six minutes into the period after redirecting Element’s pass in front of the net. Lovatsis picked up his second point of the game on the play.

The lead didn’t hold for long as Queen’s tied the game just over a minute later. Lawrance received a pass in the slot and shot the puck between Joyal’s pads to make the game 5-5.

The Stingers took the lead for good at 13:23 when Charles-Antoine Messier deflected a pass from Michalsky into a wide-open net. Jesse Goodsell picked up his second assist on the winning goal. Element put the game out of reach for Queen’s with an empty-net goal with two seconds remaining in the game.

Stingers coach Kevin Figsby was very proud of his team, especially Michalsky. “He’s probably the most consistent player on the ice, night in and night out. He’s definitely a top-line player at this level and above,” he said.

The Stingers are back on the ice this Friday at Constantine Arena in Kingston, Ont. against the RMC Paladins. The puck drops at 7 p.m.