Stingers men?s soccer team tamed by McGill

The Concordia Stingers were overwhelmed offensively by McGill 2-0 on a cold Friday night.

Concordia was playing without many prominent players in its lineup. Most notably, Matthijs Eppinga and Claude-Arthur Diesse, the two top goal-getters for Concordia with six and two goals respectively, were suspended because of previous bookings.

Due to these two important absences, the Stingers found it difficult to generate offence. Players that were brought into the lineup, such as Mauricio Soto, Shady Shalaby and Alejandro Quinn, did their best, but were unable to fill the void left in the scoring department.

With the new lineup, Concordia’s players seemed to have little chemistry with each other. Passes were inaccurate and the offence was unable to keep the ball in the McGill zone. The Stingers were also unable to produce any kind of concrete scoring chances and challenge McGill’s keeper Jean-Lou Gosselin, who stopped only two shots to record the shutout.

The first few minutes of the game were controlled by the Redmen. They spent long minutes building up their offence, almost opening the scoring at the ninth minute when Graeme Tingey’s shot hit the left post.

Concordia started to gain some momentum after the 10th minute, but it was not for long. At the 17th minute, from a free kick 20 yards away from the goal, McGill’s Sami Obaid put up a strike that bent in the air and sailed into the top left corner.

This goal discouraged the Stingers and at the 29th minute, Redman Yohann Capolungo scored from a pass by George Banks. The rest of the first half was controlled by the Redmen. The Stingers tried to reply with some counterattacks and by constructing plays, but McGill’s defence impeded them. At the end of the first half, the score was 2-0 for the home team.

The second half was more of the same; McGill started off strong and kept the pressure on Concordia in their own zone. Concordia’s goalkeeper Nicholas Giannone, who ended up with seven saves in the losing effort, made opportune saves to slow down McGill’s firepower.

Karim Haroun made many attempts to create some chances but was unable to due to close defending by McGill. Concordia was stuck in its territory for the latter part of the second half, resisting the numerous attacks from the Redmen.

Concordia played their final game of the season against UQTR on Halloween Sunday. Despite a 4-4 tie, they finished in sixth place and did not make the playoffs.