Stingers? winning streak comes to a crashing halt after a trip to Ontario

The Stingers were beaten twice this weekend and saw their winning streak stop at four games. They were outmatched 8-2 by the Brock Badgers Friday before losing 6-4 to the University of Ontario Institute of Technology Ridgebacks on Saturday.

After a goalless first period, Alexandre Monahan opened the score on the powerplay for the Stingers. Dominic Martel and Jesse Goodsell assisted on the goal. The Badgers answered with three straight goals to take the lead. Michael Blundon, assisted by Eric Begin and Daniel Michalsky, brought the Stingers back to a one-goal deficit with another powerplay tally before the end of the second frame.

However, Brock dominated in the third, scoring five goals. Badgers forward Matt Abercrombie had a spectacular night, notching two goals and three assists. Stingers goaltender Maxime Joyal had a hard night, allowing eight goals on 28 shots.

In the second game of the weekend, Concordia offered better opposition but remained on the losing end. The UOIT Ridgebacks had a strong first period, scoring three goals in the first 10 minutes. The Stingers finally got on the board nearly 11 minutes in when Eric Begin scored an unassisted goal. However, UOIT took its three-goal lead back when forward Luke Van Moerkerke scored a powerplay goal with less than a minute remaining in the first.

Things looked up for the Stingers at the start of the second, when they scored two goals in the first three minutes. First, George Lovatsis got on the board with assists going to his linemates Marc-Andre Element and Daniel Michalsky. Then, just a minute later, Emile Bouchard scored his fourth goal of the season with the help of Eric Begin and Lyle Van Wieren. However, Ridgebacks winger Josh Vatri gave his team a two-goal lead six minutes later.

In the third, Monahan gave the Stingers a chance to come back in the game when he scored his second of the weekend four minutes in. Kiefer Orsini and Dominic Martel picked up assists on the goal. But it wasn’t enough, as UOIT secured the win with just over five minutes remaining in the game when Jeremy Whelan beat Stingers goalie Sheldon Baerg to collect his second point of the night.

Joyal had another bad game and was pulled after the first period. He allowed four goals on 20 shots.

The Stingers will host the Lakehead Thunderwolves next Friday Nov. 26 at Ed Meagher Arena; the puck drops at 7:30pm.