Home CSU president resigns from CUSACorp

CSU president resigns from CUSACorp

by admin December 6, 2010

CSU president resigns from CUSACorp

by admin December 6, 2010

Concordia Student Union president Heather Lucas stepped down from her role as director and vice-president of CUSACorp Management Ltd late last month after she was notified that the regulations of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux prevented her from holding those positions. The Régie stipulates that all the directors of a company holding a liquor permit in Quebec must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, and Lucas is neither.

Lucas was late to realize that an infraction has been committed. “This was brought to our attention by our lawyer when we were filing a notice of the appointment of new directors,” she said.

Lucas resigned from her position at the corporation, a profit-generating subsidiary of the CSU, via presidential decree on Nov. 24. In that same decree, Lucas appointed Marlow Wilson, a manager at Reggies, to fill the director position until the next meeting of the sole shareholder, the CSU. Both of these actions are pending the ratification of a motion by the CSU councillors, which will be presented at a council meeting this Wednesday, Dec. 8.

The change in directors has already been authorized by the board of CUSACorp, Lucas said. However, since the company only had two directors remaining out of a possible five, she explained that Wilson’s appointment needed the approval of the CSU.

Despite holding the director position during the majority of the fall semester in violation of the Régie rules, Lucas said this will have no effect, legal or otherwise, on any actions taken by the corporation while she held the post. “There were no significant decisions taken during that period and there was therefore no harm done,” she said.

Lucas pointed out that she is not the first CSU president to be an international student, and not all past presidents have sat on CUSACorp’s board of directors. With the board’s permission, Lucas added that she would stay on as an observer.

On the agenda for this week’s CSU council meeting, an item called “Resignation” was listed under New Business, separate from the presidential decree on CUSACorp. Lucas would not comment on whether this referred to her resignation from the company, or an unrelated matter.

Wilson could not be reached for comment by print time.