Home City in brief

City in brief

by admin December 7, 2010

City in brief

by admin December 7, 2010

ConU grabs $2 million for research chairs

At a regional conference marking the 10-year anniversary of the Canada Research Chairs program, Industry Minister Tony Clement announced that the government would be setting aside $275.6 million for the program this year. Research chairs were renewed or created for 310 researchers from 53 universities across the country. Concordia had four researchers in the group, each of whom received $500,000 in funding. Dr. Roch Glitho from the Concordia institute for Information Systems Engineering was the only new recipient in the bunch. The $2 million awarded to Concordia researchers is the least received by any Montreal university, and is far-dwarfed by leaders UdeM ($16.7 million) and McGill ($15.4 million).

If you play with fire…

Things got a little too hot for an arsonist in Montreal last week. After setting fire to a pharmacy in the Plateau, the suspect’s coat caught the flames as he tried to flee, police say. Witnesses say they saw the man throw some form of liquid accelerant through a broken window of the independently-owned pharmacy at around 4 a.m. on Thursday. As he attempted to set fire to it, he also set fire to himself and proceeded to run down Park Avenue in flames. The store’s sprinklers put out the fire even before firefighters arrived, so this arson was a pretty big fail all around. Police are still investigating, but it’s safe to say this guy isn’t a suspect for all the cafe firebombings lately.

Safe injection site coming to Montreal

A local addiction support group announced last week that they would be opening safe injection sites in Montreal and Quebec city come June 2011, regardless of whether the provincial government agrees to it. The announcement, made on World AIDS Day, came from Cactus Montreal, a group who has already been running a needle exchange program for the past two decades, CBC news reported. The Supreme Court of Canada will rule on the legality of a Vancouver-based safe injection site next spring, a decision the Quebec health minister is waiting for before taking a stance on the issue. Approximately 15,000 Montrealers use intravenous drugs.

Student strike shuts down Nez Rouge

For the first time in its history, Opération Nez Rouge was forced to shut down operations for a few days as a result of the student strike at CEGEP Vieux-Montréal. Administrators at the school decided to close the entire building Monday and Sunday in order to avoid any problems during the student strike. The Nez Rouge service, which offers a free ride home to people who have been a drinking during the holiday season, rents an office inside the Ontario St. CEGEP, meaning volunteers couldn’t enter the building to work. More than 7,000 people were reported to have used the service last Friday and Saturday during its opening weekend.

If you play with fire…

Safe injection site coming to Montreal

Student strike shuts down Nez Rouge