Home Concordia loses key player in loss to McGill

Concordia loses key player in loss to McGill

by admin January 18, 2011

After a sad defeat for the women’s basketball team, the men’s team suffered the same fate on the unlucky day in McGill’s house, losing by only six points, with a final score of 70-64.

Stinger Evens Laroche started the game with two points. A good pass from McGill’s forward Nicholas Nishikawa to Simon Bibeau matched the score. McGill’s Winn Clark got the basket that gave his team the first lead. Zach Brisebois suffered a hard hit and sank both of his free-throws, bringing the game to the first of many ties. A foul on Bibeau was then matched by Kyle Desmarais’ basket. Morgan Tajfel netted one more and Jean-Andre Moussignac got a three-pointer right before McGill called a time-out.

Concordia’s strong defence ran the clock and they gained possession, but it didn’t hold when Bibeau got a three-pointer and Clark got two more tying up the game at 11-11. Desmarais then saw an opportunity when Laroche cut under the basket and with another basket by Decee Krah the Stingers took the lead again. McGill scored six more points, taking the lead back. Within a minute, both Bibeau and Olivier Bouchard netted three-pointers and ended the first half of the game at 31-24 for McGill.

Stingers guard Krah began the second half with an impressive three points and Desmarais followed his teammates lead with another basket. With his first basket of the game, forward James Clark brought the Stingers closer to the lead but unfortunately the Stingers two-point baskets were no match to the abundance of three-pointers that came from the Redmen.

Laroche suffered an injury to his ankle and was taken out of the game. In his spot, Frank Fiola came in off the bench with a new energy. He netted two more, but they slowly started to trail behind, point by point. Brisebois fought for possession and got the ball to Tajfel who took a foul. An aggressive game was offset by both teams’ skills in shooting from the free throw line.

With two minutes left, the Stingers trailed by two points. Clark, in a display of his defensive skill, stole the ball out of a Redmen player’s hands without drawing a foul, which was a feat on its own considering the questionable refereeing. McGill’s Greg Gause finished the third quarter with two more points.

The final quarter began with Tajfel paying back Desmarais for his good passes and rewarding the Stingers with two more points. The fouls continued, giving one to both benches on separate occasions. Taylor Garner with an abundance of fight and energy netted four points. With three minutes left in the game, McGill tried to run down the defensive clock but Krah managed to make a basket, which left the Stingers trailing by seven points. A kickball gave Concordia possession and Desmarais took the ball to the basket. McGill’s Gause finished off a breakaway with a slam dunk and Moussignac made three more points. But there wasn’t enough fight left in the Stingers and when the final buzzer sounded, they were six points short of a victory.

Desmarais said that the game was “frustrating” and they “didn’t play hard enough” but he vowed that wouldn’t be the case for the game next Friday.