Concordia plays dodgeball

Concordia University is also home to its own burgeoning dodgeball league. Known simply as the Concordia Dodgeball League, it achieved CSU club status recently, in winter 2010, and won the best new club distinction last spring.

Its goal is friendly competition and sportsmanship, as well as a certain dose of nostalgia. “Our regular events consist of a series of dodgeball games that hearken back to the days of high school,” said president Ian Cheng. “There aren’t a lot of opportunities for us to revisit our youth in the busy, hectic university days, so dodgeball offers us a unique opportunity to do so.”

The league hosted tournaments throughout 2010, and held matches at the fall orientation. “We’re looking to repeat and improve on our successes from last year, and we will definitely have a World Cup event near the end of the semester which will involve the entire university,” said Cheng.

After a year of existence, the CDL counts nearly 200 Concordia members, and is aiming for more. “We’re looking to expand and, given enough people, become a regular season league,” Cheng said. “We also just started a corporate league program, where companies from the downtown area send teams to do battle with Concordia students.”

Cheng also threw out a challenge to those with a low opinion of the sport. “People who don’t take dodgeball seriously need to step into the court with me. They usually end up taking it pretty seriously after a five minute bombardment,” he said.

Games are held at 6:30 p.m. on Saturdays at the middle and end of each month at the downtown campus’ LeGym. According to Cheng, their usual games are Deathmatch, God-Save-The Pin, Medic or Free-For-All. For further information, email [email protected].