Home Music in the news: Jan. 11, 2010

Music in the news: Jan. 11, 2010

by admin January 11, 2011

Muse….in….SPACE!

“Knights of Cydonia” hitmakers Muse have let slip that they are seriously considering performing in space. The trio hopes to talk to Virgin mogul Richard Branson about using one of his Virgin Galactic spacecrafts to pull off the stunt. “Maybe I’ve seen the Jetsons too many times &- but I think it will be possible in the future and I’m sure it’ll happen in my lifetime. We’d love to be part of that,” said frontman Matt Bellamy in an interview with The Sun. “We’ve had some discussions, sometimes very coherent and sometimes very late at night. But it’s for real.”

Sounds like they’ve stopped ringing the Division Bell

Industry giant EMI and legendary rock group Pink Floyd have finally settled their legal disputes. The band had complained that EMI was selling individual tracks online, in violation of a previous agreement entered by the two parties in 1999. While discussing the reconciliation, EMI Group CEO Roger Faxon said “Pink Floyd are one of the most

important and influential bands of all time and I know I speak for everyone at EMI when I say that it is a privilege to have the opportunity to work with them.” This is welcome news for EMI, which has suffered the loss of big name acts like The Rolling Stones, Queen and Radiohead since being taken over by private equity firm Terra Nova in 2007.

And by “bad weather” they mean “Internet downloading”

Music giant HMV’s Christmas sales were down 10 per cent and things are not projected to get any better. The international retail chain blamed the sales slump on bad weather and challenging trading conditions, but this decline in revenue has been a recurring problem for the company over the last decade. The music retailer’s share price has also taken a

turn for the worse, falling a cumulative total of 7 per cent over the last 13 months. As a cost-cutting measure, HMV group announced it will be closing 40 of its UK stores in the next 12 months.

No more booze and one-night stands

Scottish singer-songwriter Gerry Rafferty died last Tuesday of liver disease. A founding member of Stealers Wheel, Rafferty is best known for his hits “Stuck in the Middle” and “Baker Street.” His health had been in decline since 2009, when reports started to surface about the songwriter’s decades-long battle with depression and alcoholism.