Home Music in the news: Jan. 18, 2011

Music in the news: Jan. 18, 2011

by admin January 18, 2011

Sultans of swing censored

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has decided that the Dire Straits song “Money for Nothing” is no longer fit to air in its original form. The decision was made after a single complaint from a listener in Newfoundland regarding the song’s use of the word “faggot.” The word is sung three times in the song’s second verse: “The little faggot with the earring and the makeup / Yeah, buddy, that’s his own hair / That little faggot’s got his own jet airplane / That little faggot, he’s a millionaire.” According to the CBSC, broadcasting the song would be in violation of their code of ethics. This decision came a quarter of a century after the song’s initial release in 1985.

Dave Grohl is a Godlike Genius

Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl is to be named “Godlike Genius” at this year’s NME awards ceremony on Feb. 23. The award is given out to commemorate artists who have consistently proven their worth over the span of their careers. Grohl said of his new title: “I just think it’s funny. I don’t think I’m Godlike or a genius. I kind of think I’m pretty much a fucking idiot most of the time. It’s flattering. It’s a nice thing to be acknowledged for doing something you love to do, but in truth I don’t consider it a body of work because I don’t consider it work.” Previous winners of the Godlike Genius award include Massive Attack, U2, New Order and Joy Division.

Adam Yauch retains his “License to Ill”

Reports of Beastie Boy Adam Yauch’s victory over salivary gland cancer last week may have been a little premature. Late last Friday, Yauch’s publicist released a statement saying: “While I’m grateful for all the positive energy people are sending my way, reports of my being totally cancer free are exaggerated. I’m continuing treatment, staying optimistic and hoping to be cancer free in the near future.”

Not-so-beautiful day for Spiderman musical

U2’s long-anticipated musical, Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark has been postponed once again. The reason for the latest delay is to give the cast time to rehearse a new ending. This is only the latest postponement in a long series of setbacks to the show; so far there have been four cases of actors injured on set, including lead actress Natalie Mendoza who pulled out of the show due to an injury sustained earlier this month. Originally slated to open on Feb 7, the show is now projected to open sometime in March 2011.