Home Stingers split weekend games, snap seven-game slide

Stingers split weekend games, snap seven-game slide

by admin January 18, 2011

The Stingers dropped their seventh game in a row when they lost 3-2 in overtime against the Carleton Ravens Saturday afternoon at Ed Meagher Arena. However, they made up for it on Sunday with a 5-3 win over the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees in the capital city.

Saturday, the Stingers faced hard opposition from the fourth-ranked Ravens. The first period was ably disputed as both teams played tight defence. Carleton dominated with 15 shots compared to Concordia’s five but neither team could score.

The Ravens opened the scoring just under a minute into the second frame while Kyle Van Wieren served a double-minor for spearing. Carleton’s Brandon MacLean was able to push the puck past goaltender Maxime Joyal after a nice passing play with teammates Joey Manley and Graham Klassen.

The Stingers came right back in the game at 6:03 courtesy of defenseman Jesse Goodsell. After Carleton’s Tyler Taylor was sent to the penalty box for hooking, Goodsell buried the puck on a rebound after George Lovatsis shot towards the net. Marc-Andre Element also picked up an assist on the play.

Concordia’s Kiefer Orsini was then awarded a five-minute major for slashing. The Ravens were stopped by a dominant Joyal before Hayes was called for hooking, therefore cutting the Carleton man-advantage short.

Concordia grabbed the lead at 11:53 when newcomer Mike Stinziani beat Carleton goaltender Ryan Dube on a breakaway for a shorthanded goal. The speedy forward cut a pass at his blue line during the penalty to Orsini before fooling Dube with a spectacular move and a perfect shot.

The special teams battle continued in the third as the Ravens tied the game with a shorthanded goal of their own just 1:35 in. While Jordan Deagle was serving a penalty for slashing, Jeff Hayes was sent on a partial breakaway by teammate Brandon MacLean and pulled a move not much different from Stinziani’s the period before to beat Joyal.

Kyle Kelly gave the Ravens a golden opportunity to win the game when he was awarded a 10-minute misconduct for hitting from behind with just over six minutes remaining in the game. However, Carleton was not able to capitalize during the two-minute man advantage as Joyal put on a spectacular performance.

The game remained tied 2-2 after 60 minutes and overtime was needed to declare a winner. Carleton took home the win when Brad Good scored the game-winning goal at 2:54 of the extra frame. Coming off the rush, Good received a crisp pass from teammate Brad Albert before sniping the puck past Joyal from the top of the face-off circle. Joey Manley picked up the secondary assist on the play.

The Stingers deserved this fate as their undisciplined play dictated the pace of the game. Joyal faced an impressive total of 51 shots, stopping 48 in a great display of goaltending for the losing side.

Concordia was able to stop its losing streak on Sunday when they bested the Ottawa Gee Gees 5-3. Goodsell kept his hot streak going with a three-point performance, while Element, Lovatsis and Stinziani picked up a goal and an assist each. Returning from injury, Stingers’ leading scorer Charles-Antoine Messier also made his presence felt with a goal.

Raffaele D’Orso was the starting goaltender for the Stingers. He stopped 41 of the Gee-Gees’ 44 shots. His opponent, Harrison May, faced only 20 shots in the loss.

The Stingers now stand in sixth place of the OUA East Conference with a 10-9-1 record.

They will play their next game this Wednesday as they host the UQTR Patriotes at Ed Meagher arena; the puck drops at 8 p.m.