Home The bluffer’s guide to Concordia

The bluffer’s guide to Concordia

by admin January 11, 2011

The bluffer’s guide to Concordia

by admin January 11, 2011

You may be new at Concordia. You may be on an exchange from abroad. Perhaps you may have just been out of the loop for the last two years. Whatever your reason is, this bluffers guide will provide you with just enough information to get by.

Campus Services

HoJo Classifieds

Whether you are in need of cheap textbooks, a new roommate or even a job and volunteer opportunity, the Concordia Student Union Housing and Job bank has classifieds set up to help you find what you are looking for.

Website: www.classifieds.csu.qc.ca

Student club

Concordia Ski and Snowboard Club.

While Concordia offers a diverse set of clubs and organizations, none are quite as appropriate for this semester than the CSSC which offers both weekend and day ski and snowboard trips. With most excursions costing less than your average lift ticket, their itinerary is worth checking out.

Website: www.surfthesnow.org

Downtown Eat

Last semester, according to a devoted customer and downtown resident, we “exposed” La Croissanterie, a hidden gem of a café a few blocks west of the Hall building.

Unfortunately we are about to do it again with this new Ste- Catherine addition.

Café thEATre

This bistro-meets-bar café incorporates some of the best things Montreal has to offer. With live music, local art and brunch, lunch and dinner menus for boasting meals for under $10 each, who can resist? Let’s not forget to mention they have wi-fi, happy hour specials and offer take out.

Address: 1832 St. Catherine St. W between St. Marc and St. Mathieu

Hours: Open daily for breakfast, lunch dinner

Website: www.Cafetheatre.biz

Loyola Eat

Spano Trattoria

Just a 10 minute walk from Loyola campus, this Italian café does both eat-in and take-out. With daily sandwich and home-made pasta specials for under $8 you not only get a hearty meal but you get one of their freshly-baked desserts. Their menu also feature items such as personal-sized pizzas, marinated vegetables, a variety of salads and for those in the mood for something a little heartier, they also have stuffed peppers and lasagna.

The only downside is that we can’t guarantee you will find a seat between 12:25 p.m and 1:15 p.m. when the nearby high school kids usually take over.

Address: 48 Westminster Ave just north of Sherbrooke St. W

Contact: 514-488-5525

Coffee

Classics are classics for a reason and if there is one thing we know what not to mess with, it’s coffee.

Café Myriade

Described by some as the best coffee in Montreal, Café Myriad is located just a few steps outside the EV building on the downtown campus. With coffee brewed fresh in front of you, these award winning baristas not only know their coffee but also care for their community. They participated both in Cupcake Camp Montreal and grew out their facial hair in support of Movember.

Not a fan of coffee? Do not worry, this café also serves lattes, tea and overly delicious hot chocolate.

Address: 1432 Mackay St. between De Maissoneuve and St. Catherine St.

Hours: Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Blog: www.cafemyriade.com

Beer

This category was too hard to narrow down to just one bar so here is a short list of worthy locations depending on your mood.

Campus hangout: Reggie’s Pub (1455 De Maisonneuve St. W) which is located inside the Hall Building is full of students most nights of the week, but it is their Thirsty Thursdays that usually draw the largest crowd with $1 beers, $1 shooters and $2 bottles.

The JMSB scene: PJ O’Hara’s (1260 Mackay St.) is another popular campus bar, and is home to many student-run parties and acts as regular hangout for JMSB students.

Diverse beer selection: Les 3 Brasseurs (732 St-Catherine St. W), a microbrewery close to campus not only offers a brand new beer called La Belle Province but also has a full menu and can accommodate large groups. Nearby Brutopia (1219 Crescent St.) also offers a diverse set of brews with eight house beers including their honey beer and raspberry blonde always on tap.

Dance Floor: McKibbins Irish Pub (1426 Bishop St.) offers live music and a dance floor so you can have the pub feel on one side and the club atmosphere on the other.

Oversized and underpriced: La Boîte à Karaoké (2071 St-Catherine St. W) offers 4L pitchers for $20 tax and tip included. And, if you are unable to put up with the tone-deaf singers, just head right next door La Station des Sports where pitchers are similarly priced and some of the tables have built-in taps.

Free

One of the benefits of being located in the heart of Montreal, is that we have access to some of the city’s best museums.

The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, a short walk from the downtown campus offers a permanent exhibition and several collections free of charge.

Currently on display at their Jean-Noël Desmarais Pavilion’s is the 19th-Century French Photographs from the National Gallery of Canada exhibit and until Feb. 13 you can visit the Denis Gagnon Shows All exhibit features the clothing of a Quebec designer for the first time in the history of the museum.

Address: 1380 Sherbrooke St. W corner Crescent St.

Hours: Closed Mondays, Tuesday through Friday from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. and on weekends from 10 a.m. until 5.p.m

Website: www.mbam.qc.ca

Worth the walk

Notre-Dame St. W

This street, which runs through two southwest Montreal neighbourhoods (Little Burgundy and St. Henri), is a 30-minute walk from the downtown campus. Home to antique shops, galleries, cafes and bars, this area has recently been revitalized. With the Atwater Market and Lachine Canal a few steps away, you will not be disappointed.

To get here just head south on Guy St. and make your way under the Autoroute Ville-Marie and take a right onto Notre-Dame St. W.

Miscellaneous

Craigslist missed connections

Whether you locked eyes with a stranger at a bar, restaurant, bus stop or in class, the missed connection section of Craigslist may be your ticket to happiness. With dozens of posts daily from strangers looking to connect with potential lovers or friends, who knows, maybe the next one will be about you.

Website: montreal.en.craigslist.ca/mis